Goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen Undergoes Successful Hip Surgery
(Rochester, NY) - Rochester Americans General Manager Randy Sexton announced today that goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen has undergone successful hip surgery.
"Ukko-Pekka underwent hip surgery in New York and is expected to make a full recovery within the next six months. We were very pleased with his professional debut in Belleville and look forward to a strong off-season of training as he begins the rehabilitation process," said Sexton.
A 20-year-old native of Espoo, Finland, Luukkonen made his professional debut in Rochester's regular-season finale at Belleville on April 14, making 32 saves to earn his first pro win.
He completed his first season with the Sudbury Wolves of the Ontario Hockey League in 2018-19, posting a 38-11-2-2 record in 53 appearances, leading the league in in both wins (38) and shutouts (6). He also finished second and third among all OHL netminders with a .920 save percentage and a 2.50 goals-against average, respectively, while his 38 wins set a franchise record for the Wolves, who advanced to the postseason for the second time in three years following a second-place finish in the OHL's Central Division.
The 6-foot-5, 212-pound netminder also compiled a 4-3 record with a 3.27 goals-against average and a .906 save percentage in eight playoff games for Sudbury.
He was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in the second-round (54th overall) of the 2017 NHL Draft.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 25, 2019
- Lorito scores at 1:13 of overtime to force winner-take-all Game 5 on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Marlies to Face Cleveland Monsters in Second Round of 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - Toronto Marlies
- Bears Fall in Overtime, Series Extends to Game 5 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Blank Crunch 3-0 to Advance to North Division Finals - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Fall to Monsters, 3-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland Monsters Advance to North Division Finals - Cleveland Monsters
- Blackhawks Name King Head Coach of Rockford IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Eagles Announce Series of Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- 'Canes Recall Bishop from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- T-Birds' Goals for Groceries Initiative Provides 14,100 Meals to Food Bank of Western Mass - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Battle in Must-Win Game 4 Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. (Atlantic Division Semifinals - Game 4) - Hershey Bears
- Goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen Undergoes Successful Hip Surgery - Rochester Americans
- Gulls Knockout San Jose, 5-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Eliminated from Playoffs After 5-2 Loss to San Diego - San Jose Barracuda
- San Diego Gulls Advance to Pacific Division Finals - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins and Wolves to Play Decisive Game 5 - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.