Black Bears Triumph over Generals for Sixth Straight Win
ODENTON, MD - The Maryland Black Bears started the roaring 20s right with a 4-1 victory Friday night over the Northeast Generals. The win extends Maryland's franchise-best win streak to six games.
After a scoreless first period, Black Bears' forward Jackson Sterrett got the scoring started in period two. Sterrett received a pass from teammate Aidan McDowell that sent Sterrett off to the races for a forehand-backhand move to make it 1-0. The Generals responded with a goal from former Black Bear Jonathan Young. After a big hit behind the net, Northeast was able to get a cross-ice pass across to Young, who buried the goal to make it 1-1. Aden Bruich responded from Maryland on a two-on-one rush after a pass from Reid Leibold for a 2-1 lead. The Black Bears were able to extend the lead with just 1.4 seconds left, as Andrew Remer got the puck to Garrett Szydlowski on a cross-ice pass for a goal and a 3-1 lead.
Garrett Szydlowski extended the lead for Maryland in the third period to make the score 4-1, burying a rebound on the power play. The Black Bears held on for the 4-1 win. Cooper Black made 41 saves for Maryland, while Joey Stanizzi made 34 saves for Northeast. Maryland netminder Cooper Black received third-star honors, Black Bears defenseman Aiden McDowell received the second-star, and Maryland forward Garrett Szydlowski was the games' first star.
The Generals and Black Bears clash again Saturday night at Piney Orchard Ice Arena with a puck drop at 7:45 PM ET. The Black Bears will be honoring their Swedish players with Salute to Sweden Night.
The Maryland Black Bears is a Junior Hockey Team that competes in the North American Hockey League (NAHL). Our players, 16-20 years old, are vying for NCAA DI/III Scholarships. The Black Bears are the hometown hockey team of Central Maryland and play out of the Piney Orchard Ice Arena. The Maryland Black Bears play for more than just wins!
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2020
- Jacks Open 2020 with Loss to Lone Star - Odessa Jackalopes
- IceRays Start New Year with 4-2 Loss at Shreveport - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bruins Drive Past Bobcats, 2-1, in Spirited Win - Austin Bruins
- Bulls Power Past Brown Bears on Friday Night - Amarillo Bulls
- Black Bears Triumph over Generals for Sixth Straight Win - Maryland Black Bears
- Matt Clark Traded to Topeka - Odessa Jackalopes
- Ice Wolves Pour on the Goals in Amarillo, 5-2 Final - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- College Hockey Classic - RMU vs. Ontario Tech - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Black Bears to Host Salute to Sweden Night - Maryland Black Bears
- The Boys Are Back: Wings vs. Wilderness Friday & Saturday at the Odde - Aberdeen Wings
- Time to Eat - Minot Minotauros
- Matthew Rickard Commits to AIC Yellowjackets - Lone Star Brahmas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.