Black Bears to Host Salute to Sweden Night
ODENTON, MD - The Maryland Black Bears will host a 'Salute to Sweden Night' to honor the country of Sweden and Swedish Black Bear Players Hampus Rydqvist and Filip Jakobsson. Lars-Erik Tindre, Public Diplomacy, Press- and Communications Counselor, will be in attendance to represent the Embassy of Sweden. The game will include integrative themes celebrating the nation of Sweden.
Assistant Captain and Defenseman, Hampus Rydqvist is from Gothenburg, Sweden and Forward, Filip Jakobsson, is from Stockholm, Sweden. The two players have been key contributors to the Black Bears during the 2019-2020 NAHL Season. Rydqvist has 6 goals and 22 assists in 32 games played and Jakobsson has 2 goals and 12 assists in 29 games played.
President of the Maryland Black Bears, Robyn Remick, issued the following statement:
"The Maryland Black Bears' Salute to Sweden Night will be a true celebration of a hockey-loving country that has provided Black Bear Nation with two unique players," said Robyn Remick. "While the majority of our players are North American, we are blessed with two talented Swedes who add a certain flavor on and off the ice to our community. Saturday will be a way to show Hampus and Filip how much we appreciate what they bring to this franchise. A special thank you to Lars-Erik from the Embassy of Sweden for joining us at the Den to honor his country."
Public Diplomacy, Press- and Communications Counselor, Lars-Erik Tindre responded with the following:
"The deep and long-standing cooperation and exchange between the ice hockey community in the United States and Sweden has benefited both our countries," said Lars-Erik Tindre. "The impressive ice hockey played in North America is a great source of inspiration for Swedish players and it is very interesting to follow the development of the talented players in the U.S. junior leagues."
The Maryland Black Bears is a Junior Hockey Team that competes in the North American Hockey League (NAHL). Our players, 16-20 years old, are vying for NCAA DI/III Scholarships. The Black Bears are the hometown hockey team of Central Maryland and play out of the Piney Orchard Ice Arena. The Maryland Black Bears play for more than just wins!
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2020
- Jacks Open 2020 with Loss to Lone Star - Odessa Jackalopes
- IceRays Start New Year with 4-2 Loss at Shreveport - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bruins Drive Past Bobcats, 2-1, in Spirited Win - Austin Bruins
- Bulls Power Past Brown Bears on Friday Night - Amarillo Bulls
- Black Bears Triumph over Generals for Sixth Straight Win - Maryland Black Bears
- Matt Clark Traded to Topeka - Odessa Jackalopes
- Ice Wolves Pour on the Goals in Amarillo, 5-2 Final - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- College Hockey Classic - RMU vs. Ontario Tech - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Black Bears to Host Salute to Sweden Night - Maryland Black Bears
- The Boys Are Back: Wings vs. Wilderness Friday & Saturday at the Odde - Aberdeen Wings
- Time to Eat - Minot Minotauros
- Matthew Rickard Commits to AIC Yellowjackets - Lone Star Brahmas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.