Bulls Power Past Brown Bears on Friday Night
Amarillo, TX - The Amarillo Bulls powered past the Kenai River Brown Bears, 5-2, to earn their first victory of 2020 on Friday night.
Amarillo, looking to redeem themselves from Tuesday's defeat to New Mexico, got on the board early, when Jordan Venegoni redirected a Niclas Puikkonen pass into the back of the net. Later in the period, the Bulls would grow their lead when Ty Black netted his fifth of the season after backhanding the puck past the Brown Bears goaltender.
Kenai River answered the Bulls' offense early in the second period when Skyler Gutierrez brought the score to 2-1. Shortly after, Ryan Tucker was taken down on his way to the net but tucked the puck across the goal line to give the Bulls the 3-1 lead. Amarillo wasted little time growing their lead, as Gleb Murtazin deflected Jack Mesic's shot into the back of the net for the 4-1 lead.
A late third period goal from David Hill would give the Bulls the 5-1 victory, kicking off 2020 with a victory.
With the win, the Bulls are now 24-6-1-2 and hold 51 points and second place in the South Division. The team remains just two points back of the Lone Star Brahmas for the division lead.
The Bulls will remain at Saturday, January 4, to take on the Kenai River Brown Bears. Mark Shelley will broadcast the game from the Spicy Mike's Bar-B-Q Broadcast Booth, and the action will begin at 7:05PM CST on 107.1 Nash Icon and Hockey TV.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2020
- Jacks Open 2020 with Loss to Lone Star - Odessa Jackalopes
- IceRays Start New Year with 4-2 Loss at Shreveport - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bruins Drive Past Bobcats, 2-1, in Spirited Win - Austin Bruins
- Bulls Power Past Brown Bears on Friday Night - Amarillo Bulls
- Black Bears Triumph over Generals for Sixth Straight Win - Maryland Black Bears
- Matt Clark Traded to Topeka - Odessa Jackalopes
- Ice Wolves Pour on the Goals in Amarillo, 5-2 Final - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- College Hockey Classic - RMU vs. Ontario Tech - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Black Bears to Host Salute to Sweden Night - Maryland Black Bears
- The Boys Are Back: Wings vs. Wilderness Friday & Saturday at the Odde - Aberdeen Wings
- Time to Eat - Minot Minotauros
- Matthew Rickard Commits to AIC Yellowjackets - Lone Star Brahmas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Amarillo Bulls Stories
- Bulls Announce Events for Make-A-Wish Night
- Glockner Blanks Mudbugs as Bulls Complete Weekend Sweep
- Special Teams Shine as Bulls Down Mudbugs in Battle of the Bodies
- Bulls Outlast Mudbugs in Friday Night Dogfight
- Bulls Stumble Late as Mudbugs Rally in Third Period