Biscuits Come up Short in Chattanooga, 7-6
CHATTANOOGA, Ten. - The Biscuits (48-43) fought until the final out, but came up just short in their series opener against the Chattanooga Lookouts (42-48), dropping the first of a five-game series by a score of 7-6 on Thursday night at AT&T Field.
Sam McWilliams (3-6) got the start for the Butter and Blue, but struggled in the first allowing four runs against eight batters thanks to a bases loaded walk issued to Zander Wiel, a sac fly by Jaylen Davis, an RBI-single by Brian Navarreto, and an RBI-fielder's choice by Ryan Walker in consecutive at-bats.
The Biscuits would respond in the second with a David Rodriguez RBI-single into right field, before a Walker three-run homer over the right-center field wall appeared to blow the game open at 7-1. Brett Sullivan delivered a sac fly in the fourth to make it a 7-2 ballgame.
Lookouts starter Lewis Thorpe cruise through the first 1.2 innings before exiting with an apparent injury when Ryan Eades was summoned from the bullpen. Eades, Paco Rodriguez (3-0), and Todd Van Steensel combined to allow just one run over 5.1 innings of relief.
But in the eighth, Dalton Kelly, who had already stroked a double in the fourth, clobbered another one into left field to knock in the Biscuits third run of the evening and make it 7-3 Chattanooga against Ryne Harper.
In the ninth, the Biscuits loaded the bases against Harper with two outs, before Cody Stashak came on to face Mike Brosseau, and the Munster, Indiana native didn't miss, yanking a bases-clearing double down the left field line to get the Biscuits within a run at 7-6. But Kelly would ground out in the next at-bat to end the game with Brosseau in scoring position at second.
Montgomery will try to rebound on Friday night when an Opener/J.D. Martin (6-9) take on Anthony Marzi (0-6) at 6:15 PM CT.
Once the Biscuits conclude their current nine-game road trip, the team will return to Riverwalk Stadium to open up a five-game series with the Mississippi Braves on Wednesday, July 18 when there will be a Bucket Hat Giveaway. The series will also include Outdoors Night featuring a Hunter Camo T-Shirt Giveaway on Thursday, July 19, First Responders Night & MAX Fireworks on Friday, July 20, Millennial Night featuring a Participation Ribbon Giveaway & MAX Fireworks on Saturday, July 21, and then a Mascot Poster Giveaway on Sunday, July 22.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Gutierrez, Wahoos Take Series Opener, 6-1 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Stun Mobile with Late Five-Run Rally - Jackson Generals
- Walker Goes Deep as Lookouts Top Biscuits - Chattanooga Lookouts
- BayBears Stunned by Generals in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
- Mississippi Falls to Pensacola 6-1 in Series Opener - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Top Smokies, 8-5 - Birmingham Barons
- Biscuits Come up Short in Chattanooga, 7-6 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Dunand's Walk-Off Walk Lifts Shrimp over Shuckers, 4-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Shuckers Walked off in Jacksonville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Drop Series Opener to Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Rengifo and Walsh Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Giardina, Johnstone Join M-Braves, Pike to Florida - Mississippi Braves
- It's a Hat Trick: Ray Goes Yard Three Times in Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- M-Braves Clinch Second-Straight Series After a 9-2 Win over Barons on Wednesday - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Fall, 9-2 in Series Finale - Birmingham Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montgomery Biscuits Stories
- Biscuits Bake up Fresh Promo Calendar in the "Year of Bacon" at Riverwalk Stadium
- Auburn University at Montgomery to Host the University of Montevallo at Riverwalk Stadium
- Biscuits 2019 Field Staff Announced
- Generals End Biscuits Season, 11-7
- Biscuits Survive, Even Series, 10-7