Dunand's Walk-Off Walk Lifts Shrimp over Shuckers, 4-3
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp shortstop Joe Dunand drew a two-out, full-count, bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the ninth inning for a 4-3 win over the Biloxi Shuckers for Jacksonville's season-high sixth straight victory in front of 4,895 at Budweiser Thirsty Thursday and As Seen on TV Night at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.
Jumbo Shrimp right-hander Nick Neidert retired the first 11 Biloxi batters before a fourth-inning, two-out walk to second baseman Keston Hiura and first baseman Jake Gatewood's double. Neidert stranded both runners in scoring position. In the bottom of the inning, Jacksonville second baseman Isan Diaz hit a leadoff home run to the right-field bleachers for the first hit and only run off left-hander Kodi Medeiros, who allowed two hits and two walks with nine strikeouts in five innings.
Biloxi (10-10 second half, 51-39 overall) tied the game against Neidert in the top of the fifth inning. Shortstop Luis Aviles Jr. hit a leadoff single, went to second base on right fielder Trent Grisham's flyout, and scored on catcher Max McDowell's ground-rule double to left field. Biloxi left fielder Troy Stokes Jr. led off the top of the sixth inning with a go-ahead solo home run to left-center field. In the seventh inning, Aviles hit a leadoff double and advanced on flyouts by Grisham and McDowell to make it 3-1. Neidert allowed three earned runs on five hits and one walk with nine strikeouts in seven innings.
Southern League saves leader Nate Griep followed Medeiros with a scoreless sixth inning for the Shuckers. In the bottom of the seventh inning, Jacksonville left fielder Brian Miller hit a one-out single, and center fielder Monte Harrison, facing Griep for the first time since a walk-off home run June 11, lined a two-run, game-tying home run to the left-field berm. Left-hander Miguel Del Pozo (4-0) pitched two scoreless innings for Jacksonville (9-12, 37-52) to keep the game tied, 3-3. In the ninth inning, Biloxi right-hander Jon Perrin (0-1) walked pinch hitter Eric Jagielo, who went to second base on Miller's sacrifice. Diaz hit a two-out single, and first baseman Peter O'Brien was intentionally walked before Dunand.
UP NEXT: The Jumbo Shrimp will continue their series with Biloxi at 7:05 p.m. Friday, when Jacksonville right-hander Jeff Brigham (4-1) is scheduled to face Shuckers right-hander Thomas Jankins (8-5). Fans may visit any participating NAPA AutoCare Center to get a FREE general admission ticket (reserved seat upgrade available at the box office) for the games that will be followed by NAPA AutoCare Family Fireworks. The Jumbo Shrimp wear red "Bold City: jerseys to support the military on Red Shirt Friday, when fans who wear red can save $1 per ticket at the box office or donate the $1 to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. Friday Night Lites Miller Lite Happy Hour offers $1 12-oz. Miller Lite and $1 off craft beer specials in the Craft Cave by the third-base gates until 7:30 p.m. For National French Fry Day, Build Your Own Fries at the All-American Jax and Southern Fried concession stands. The game is presented by 96.1 WEJZ.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Gutierrez, Wahoos Take Series Opener, 6-1 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Stun Mobile with Late Five-Run Rally - Jackson Generals
- Walker Goes Deep as Lookouts Top Biscuits - Chattanooga Lookouts
- BayBears Stunned by Generals in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
- Mississippi Falls to Pensacola 6-1 in Series Opener - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Top Smokies, 8-5 - Birmingham Barons
- Biscuits Come up Short in Chattanooga, 7-6 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Dunand's Walk-Off Walk Lifts Shrimp over Shuckers, 4-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Shuckers Walked off in Jacksonville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Drop Series Opener to Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Rengifo and Walsh Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Giardina, Johnstone Join M-Braves, Pike to Florida - Mississippi Braves
- It's a Hat Trick: Ray Goes Yard Three Times in Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- M-Braves Clinch Second-Straight Series After a 9-2 Win over Barons on Wednesday - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Fall, 9-2 in Series Finale - Birmingham Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Jumbo Shrimp Open Registration for February 28 National Anthem Auditions
- Jacksonville Alum Walker Elected to Southern League Hall of Fame
- Jumbo Shrimp Hold Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Essay Contest
- Mascots Southpaw, Scampi Present Valentine's Day Sweetheart Surprise
- Family Movie Night with the Jumbo Shrimp Set for February 23