Rengifo and Walsh Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake
JACKSON, Tenn. - The Los Angeles Angels announced Thursday that infielders Luis Rengifo and Jared Walsh have been promoted from the Mobile BayBears to Triple-A Salt Lake.
Rengifo, 21, hit .305 with 17 extra-base hits, 21 RBIs, 13 stolen bases, and a team-high five triples. He had a .420 on-base percentage and was second on the team with 37 runs scored in 40 games. He was the Southern League Player of the Month for June, leading the BayBears with 10 stolen bases, 17 walks, and 27 runs scored. Rengifo is currently tied for third in all of Minor League Baseball with 35 steals, combined between Mobile and Inland Empire.
The Venezuela native was acquired by the Angels on March 20, 2018 as the player to be named later in a trade that sent first baseman C.J. Cron to the Tampa Bay Rays. Rengifo joined the BayBears on May 22 from Class A Advanced Inland Empire and was named the Angels Minor League Player of the Month for May. He is currently the No. 27 prospect in the organization, according to MLB Pipeline.
Walsh, 24, played in 20 games with the BayBears last season and re-joined the club on May 22 from Inland Empire. In 41 games this year, he posted a .289 batting average and was second on the team with a .570 slugging percentage. Walsh hit eight home runs with 26 RBIs and 13 doubles. He already has a career-high 21 home runs and 62 RBIs this season, combined between Mobile and Inland Empire.
The Brookfield, Wis., native was selected by the Angels in the 39th round of the 2015 MLB Draft out of the University of Georgia. In 313 career Minor League games, he has slashed .298/.364/.499 with 41 home runs, 188 RBIs, and 143 extra-base hits.
This is the first promotion to Triple-A for both Rengifo and Walsh.
In a corresponding move, outfielder Brendon Sanger has been activated from the 7-day disabled list.
The BayBears begin a five-game road series against the Jackson Generals Thursday at 6:05 p.m. CDT. Live coverage can be seen on MiLB.tv (Jackson feed, subscription required, promo code: BAYBEARS) and heard on the BayBears Broadcast Network, the TuneIn Radio App, and the MiLB First Pitch App, with the Countdown to First Pitch starting at 5:45 p.m. CDT.
The BayBears return home Wednesday and host a total of 70 home dates through Labor Day, September 3. Single-game tickets and ticket packages are currently on sale. Group and hospitality offerings for the 2018 season can be reserved by calling (251) 479-BEAR (2327).
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Gutierrez, Wahoos Take Series Opener, 6-1 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Stun Mobile with Late Five-Run Rally - Jackson Generals
- Walker Goes Deep as Lookouts Top Biscuits - Chattanooga Lookouts
- BayBears Stunned by Generals in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
- Mississippi Falls to Pensacola 6-1 in Series Opener - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Top Smokies, 8-5 - Birmingham Barons
- Biscuits Come up Short in Chattanooga, 7-6 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Dunand's Walk-Off Walk Lifts Shrimp over Shuckers, 4-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Shuckers Walked off in Jacksonville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Drop Series Opener to Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Rengifo and Walsh Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Giardina, Johnstone Join M-Braves, Pike to Florida - Mississippi Braves
- It's a Hat Trick: Ray Goes Yard Three Times in Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- M-Braves Clinch Second-Straight Series After a 9-2 Win over Barons on Wednesday - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Fall, 9-2 in Series Finale - Birmingham Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mobile BayBears Stories
- Thursday's BayBears Game Postponed Due to Rain
- Former BayBears Infielder Luis Rengifo Recalled by Angels
- BayBears Snap Skid with Three-Hit Shutout of Blue Wahoos
- Thursday's BayBears Game Postponed Due to Inclement Weather
- Pair of Two-Run Innings Push BayBears Past Biscuits