Giardina, Johnstone Join M-Braves, Pike to Florida
PEARL, MS - The Atlanta Braves have made the following roster moves affecting the M-Braves roster before tonight's 7:00 pm series opener against Pensacola at Trustmark Park. C Sal Giardina has been transferred to Mississippi from High-A Florida, RHP Connor Johnstone has been transferred to Mississippi from High-A Florida, and LHP Tyler Pike has been transferred to Florida from Mississippi.
Giardina, 26, has been added back to Mississippi's roster and has appeared in 18 games with Triple-A Gwinnett this season, batting .314 (16-for-51) with two doubles, one home run, six RBI, and six runs scored. Over seven games and three stints for the M-Braves, the Valrico, FL native is batting .167 (2-for-12) with one run scored. Giardina was Atlanta's 31st round pick in 2014 out of Lynn University (FL).
Johnstone, 23, has been added to Mississippi's roster and will start Thursday night's game against the Blue Wahoos. Johnstone is 1-2, with a 3.38 ERA (18 ER/48.0 IP), 17 walks, 54 strikeouts in 22 games, including five starts, between Florida, Mississippi and Gwinnett this season. Johnstone made four relief appearances for the M-Braves in April posting no record and a 3.86 ERA in 7.0 innings with four strikeouts and four walks.
Johnstone has been well traveled in 2018, having appeared on the rosters of five different Atlanta affiliates. The Atlanta, GA native began the season on the GCL Braves roster and was transferred to High-A Florida on April 8. He was transferred to Low-A Rome on April 18 (did not pitch) and then transferred to Mississippi on April 20. He was transferred to High-A Florida on April 30 and then transferred to R-Danville on June 3. He was then transferred back to High-A Florida on June 5 and transferred back to Danville on June 7. Then, Johnstone was transferred back to Florida on June 9 and transferred to Triple-A Gwinnett for the first time on June 23, The next day, he was transferred back to Florida on June 24 and then transferred back to Gwinnett on July 4. Lastly, Johnstone was transferred back to Florida on July 5 and transferred for the second time to Mississippi on July 12.
The Braves selected Johnstone in the 21st round of the 2017 draft out of Wake Forest University.
Pike, 24, is 0-2 with a 2.76 ERA (5 ER/16.1 IP) with 19 strikeouts and 22 walks in 11 games (one start) for the M-Braves this season. Pike has at least one walk and one strikeout in each of his 11 games this season. Pike was acquired by the Braves as the player to be named later from Seattle on December 9, 2016, completing a trade in which Atlanta received Alex Jackson from Seattle in exchange for Rob Whalen and Max Povse on November 28, 2016.
The Mississippi Braves roster currently stands at 25 active players and three on the DL.
ACTIVATE: RHP Connor Johnstone
ACTIVATE: C Sal Giardina
DELETE: LHP Tyler Pike
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Gutierrez, Wahoos Take Series Opener, 6-1 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Stun Mobile with Late Five-Run Rally - Jackson Generals
- Walker Goes Deep as Lookouts Top Biscuits - Chattanooga Lookouts
- BayBears Stunned by Generals in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
- Mississippi Falls to Pensacola 6-1 in Series Opener - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Top Smokies, 8-5 - Birmingham Barons
- Biscuits Come up Short in Chattanooga, 7-6 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Dunand's Walk-Off Walk Lifts Shrimp over Shuckers, 4-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Shuckers Walked off in Jacksonville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Drop Series Opener to Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Rengifo and Walsh Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Giardina, Johnstone Join M-Braves, Pike to Florida - Mississippi Braves
- It's a Hat Trick: Ray Goes Yard Three Times in Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- M-Braves Clinch Second-Straight Series After a 9-2 Win over Barons on Wednesday - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Fall, 9-2 in Series Finale - Birmingham Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississippi Braves Stories
- Anderson, Harris Named Atlanta Braves Minor League Players of the Year
- Unroe, Kingham Named Final Farm Bureau Players of the Week
- Riley Unroe Named Southern League Player of the Week
- M-Braves Close Season with 3-2 Win over Lookouts
- Kingham Tosses Complete Game in Sunday's Win