Barons Fall, 9-2 in Series Finale
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - After pulling within one-run early on, The Birmingham Barons (42-46) lost their grip on a comeback after giving up six runs late as the Mississippi Braves (39-51) spoiled the homestand finale 9-2 on Wednesday night at Regions Field.
Turning Points: After falling behind 3-0, Birmingham cut the Mississippi lead to one-run behind a monstrous two-run blast off the bat of Luis Basabe in the bottom of the third. The home run traveled 388 feet to right center, helping Joel Booker cross the plate in the process.
Facts and Figures: Basabe's two-run homer was his first at the Double-A level after his promotion from Winston-Salem on June 21. The All-Star Futures Games selection hit nine dingers with the Dash during the first half of the season.
Moments That Mattered: The M-Braves stranded the tying run 90 feet from home in both the fourth and fifth innings before breaking the game open in the eighth. Following back-to-back walks, Travis Demeritte hit an RBI doubled, while a fielder's choice and an RBI walk plated another pair of runs to extend the M-Braves' lead to 6-2. With the bases loaded one batter later, Brandon Downes raked a three-run triple to push the lead to a final 9-2
By the Numbers: Despite the loss, Tanner Banks notched a quality start in his first appearance in the Magic City this season. Over six complete innings, Banks allowed three earned runs, walked one and struck out ten batters. The only other Baron to strike out 10 batters in a game is Dane Dunning.
Up Next: The Barons head to Tennessee in a return to the traditional five-game series against the Smokies, starting on Thursday. Matt Tomshaw (4-4, 5.16) will to toe the rubber for Birmingham with first pitch set for 6:00 p.m. Curt Bloom will have the call on 960 WERC News Radio and the iHeart Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Gutierrez, Wahoos Take Series Opener, 6-1 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Stun Mobile with Late Five-Run Rally - Jackson Generals
- Walker Goes Deep as Lookouts Top Biscuits - Chattanooga Lookouts
- BayBears Stunned by Generals in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
- Mississippi Falls to Pensacola 6-1 in Series Opener - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Top Smokies, 8-5 - Birmingham Barons
- Biscuits Come up Short in Chattanooga, 7-6 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Dunand's Walk-Off Walk Lifts Shrimp over Shuckers, 4-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Shuckers Walked off in Jacksonville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Drop Series Opener to Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Rengifo and Walsh Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Giardina, Johnstone Join M-Braves, Pike to Florida - Mississippi Braves
- It's a Hat Trick: Ray Goes Yard Three Times in Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- M-Braves Clinch Second-Straight Series After a 9-2 Win over Barons on Wednesday - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Fall, 9-2 in Series Finale - Birmingham Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.