Shuckers Walked off in Jacksonville
JACKSONVILLE, FL - A bases loaded walk in the bottom of the ninth inning gave the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (37-52) a 4-3 win over the Biloxi Shuckers (51-39) on Thursday night at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.
Both starting pitchers were locked in out of the gate. Jumbo Shrimp RHP Nick Neidert didn't allow a base runner through his first 3.2 innings of works, and Shuckers LHP Kodi Medeiros tossed three hitless frames to start his outing.
Isan Diaz broke the deadlock in the bottom of the fourth with a leadoff home run, his eighth of the season, to put the Jumbo Shrimp up 1-0. Medeiros would allow just one more hit in his five innings of work, giving up just one run on three walks while striking out nine, tying a career high.
Biloxi tied the game in the fifth thanks to the bottom of the lineup. Luis Aviles Jr. started the frame with a single up the middle and tagged up to second on a deep fly ball out from Trent Grisham. Max McDowell roped a ground-rule double down the left field line, plating Aviles to knot the game at one all.
Looking to extend his on-base streak, Troy Stokes Jr. started the sixth inning with a solo home run to left, his 14th of the season, to put the Shuckers up 2-1. Stokes now owns a 20 game on-base streak, the longest by a Biloxi Shucker this season.
In the top of the seventh, the bottom part of the lineup combined for another run. Aviles doubled, tagged up on a deep fly out to center by Grisham and scored on a sacrifice fly from McDowell, pushing the Shuckers to a 3-1 advantage.
RHP Nate Griep (BS, 3) entered the game in the sixth and tossed two frames. Jacksonville got to the Shuckers reliever in the home half of the seventh, when Monte Harrison hit a frozen-rope, two-run homer to bring the contest level at 3-3. It was Harrison's 12th home run of the season.
The Shuckers put a pair of men on base in the top of the ninth inning, but stranded them as LHP Miguel Del Pozo (W, 4-0) induced a fielder's choice before striking out two, sending the game to the bottom of the ninth still tied. Pinch hitter Eric Jagielo drew a walk against RHP Jon Perrin (L, 0-1) and was sacrificed to second before a strikeout of Harrison. Diaz singled to right before Peter O'Brien was intentionally walked, setting the stage for Joe Dunand, who worked a full count before taking ball four, bringing home Jagielo for the winning run.
Biloxi continues their five-game series against the Jumbo Shrimp on Friday night at 6:05 PM CT. RHP Thomas Jankins (8-5, 4.39) take the hill for the Shuckers against Jumbo Shrimp RHP Jeff Brigham (4-1, 1.88). The game can be heard locally on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/FM 100.9, TuneIn Radio or the MiLB First Pitch App.
Single game tickets for the Biloxi Shuckers 2018 season can be purchased at the MGM Park box office or over the phone through Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000. Playoff strips, half-season tickets, flex plans and group outings are also available and can be reserved by calling 228-233-3465 or visiting www.biloxishuckers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Gutierrez, Wahoos Take Series Opener, 6-1 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Stun Mobile with Late Five-Run Rally - Jackson Generals
- Walker Goes Deep as Lookouts Top Biscuits - Chattanooga Lookouts
- BayBears Stunned by Generals in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
- Mississippi Falls to Pensacola 6-1 in Series Opener - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Top Smokies, 8-5 - Birmingham Barons
- Biscuits Come up Short in Chattanooga, 7-6 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Dunand's Walk-Off Walk Lifts Shrimp over Shuckers, 4-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Shuckers Walked off in Jacksonville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Drop Series Opener to Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Rengifo and Walsh Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Giardina, Johnstone Join M-Braves, Pike to Florida - Mississippi Braves
- It's a Hat Trick: Ray Goes Yard Three Times in Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- M-Braves Clinch Second-Straight Series After a 9-2 Win over Barons on Wednesday - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Fall, 9-2 in Series Finale - Birmingham Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Biloxi Shuckers Stories
- Grisham's Four-Hit Day Leads Shuckers to Fourth Straight Win
- Shuckers Secure Series over BayBears with Second Shutout Win
- Supak Spins Another Gem in Shuckers Shutout Win over BayBears
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights May 28 - June 1
- Runaway Lead Lands Shuckers Series-Evening Win over BayBears