Mississippi Falls to Pensacola 6-1 in Series Opener
PEARL, MS - RHP Connor Johnstone who was promoted to Double-A Mississippi from High-A Florida earlier in the day provided the Mississippi Braves (39-52) with a solid spot start after tossing 5.0 innings allowing one hit, one run, which was unearned, issuing three walks and striking out three despite the M-Braves 6-1 loss to the Pensacola Blue Wahoos (45-44) in the series opener at Trustmark Park on Thursday night.
Pensacola scored the game's first run in the top of the second inning after taking advantage of a M-Braves fielding error. Mississippi responded in the bottom of the second inning by tying the game 1-1 when Travis Demeritte scored from third base on a throwing error by Pensacola catcher, Chris Okey.
The game remained tied 1-1 until Taylor Sparks sent a three-run home run over the left field wall to give the Blue Wahoos a 4-1 lead in the top of the seventh inning. The Blue Wahoos extended their lead 6-1 in the top of the eighth inning via a two-run home run from the bat of first baseman, Gavin LaValley.
Pensacola starter, Vladimir Gutierrez (7-8, 4.33) earned the win while Mississippi reliver, Sean McLaughlin (0-2, 8.44) suffered the loss.
Mississippi and Pensacola will meet again tomorrow night (Friday, July 13) at Trustmark Park for game two of the five-game series at 7:00 p.m. (CST.) RHP Bryse Wilson (2-5, 4.81) is slated to start Friday night's contest for the M-Braves. Opposite of Wilson on the mound will be Pensacola RHP Tony Santillan (1-0, 1.50.)
Promotions for Friday night's game will include, Friday Night Fireworks (post-game fireworks after every Friday home game) presented by WLBT3 On Your Side and Ladies Night Out (the M-Braves will be hosting their first Ladies Night Out in the Yuengling Picnic Pavilion. Come for Wine, Beer, Goodie Bags, and Door Prizes throughout the night! Tickets can be purchased in advance for $15 and $20 on the day of the game.)
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Gutierrez, Wahoos Take Series Opener, 6-1 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Stun Mobile with Late Five-Run Rally - Jackson Generals
- Walker Goes Deep as Lookouts Top Biscuits - Chattanooga Lookouts
- BayBears Stunned by Generals in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
- Mississippi Falls to Pensacola 6-1 in Series Opener - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Top Smokies, 8-5 - Birmingham Barons
- Biscuits Come up Short in Chattanooga, 7-6 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Dunand's Walk-Off Walk Lifts Shrimp over Shuckers, 4-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Shuckers Walked off in Jacksonville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Drop Series Opener to Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Rengifo and Walsh Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Giardina, Johnstone Join M-Braves, Pike to Florida - Mississippi Braves
- It's a Hat Trick: Ray Goes Yard Three Times in Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- M-Braves Clinch Second-Straight Series After a 9-2 Win over Barons on Wednesday - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Fall, 9-2 in Series Finale - Birmingham Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississippi Braves Stories
- Chris Maloney Awarded 2018 Bobby Cox Manager of the Year
- M-Braves Hosting Job Fair on February 9th at Trustmark Park
- Mississippi Braves Announce 2019 Home Game Times, Fireworks Dates
- Mississippi Braves Announce 2019 Coaching Staff
- Atlanta Braves Foundation Awards $2,500 Grant to Girl Scouts of Greater Mississippi