Birds Take Game Three over Wilmington Behind Dominant Pitching
WILMINGTON, De. - Brailyn Marquez and Ryan Lawlor combined to hold the Wilmington Blue Rocks to just one run as the Myrtle Beach Pelicans took down Wilmington 2-1 in game three of the series on Sunday at Frawley Stadium.
For the third time in the series, the Blue Rocks (38-31, 82-56) took an early lead over the Pelicans (34-35, 55-81). In the bottom of the second inning, Nick Pratto led off the frame with a single off Marquez (W, 4-1) and after he stole second, he scored on a Sebastian Rivero RBI single that made it 1-0.
The Pelicans stormed back in the top of the third inning and plated two runs. Rito Lugo (L, 4-4) retired the first two batters of the inning without incident, but allowed a two-out single to Delvin Zinn that jumpstarted the rally. Carlos Sepulveda then bunted down the third base line and the throw from the catcher MJ Melendez went down the right field line, allowing Zinn to score all the way from first and even the game at 1-1.
Myrtle Beach then took the lead one batter later when Grant Fennell lined an RBI single and made it 2-1 in favor of Myrtle Beach.
Marquez delivered his longest outing of the season in a Pelicans uniform as he went six innings and allowed just one run on five hits, while striking out six and walking just one.
Lawlor pitched the final three frames for the Pelicans to earn the save. The lefty struck out four in three one-hit innings for the Pelicans in their 2-1 win over Wilmington.
The Pelicans will wrap up the 2019 season with an afternoon contest on Monday that starts at 12:05 p.m. Myrtle Beach has yet to announce a starter for the ballgame and LHP Austin Cox (3-3, 2.77) will take the ball for the Blue Rocks in the finale. Coverage starts at 11:50 a.m. on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast and the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Apps.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Wood Ducks Fall Late To Woodpeckers In Pitcher's Duel - Down East Wood Ducks
- Raquet Quiets Keys - Frederick Keys
- P-Nats Secure Winning Season with Shutout Victory - Potomac Nationals
- Season Finale in Wilmington Cancelled - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Offense Smacks 12 Hits in 10-3 Win at Lynchburg - Winston-Salem Dash
- Mudcats Drop Fourth Straight 3-1 in Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Allen Goes Deep Twice in Dash Win over Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Birds Take Game Three over Wilmington Behind Dominant Pitching - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Eight Current & Former P-Nats Headed to 2019 Arizona Fall League - Potomac Nationals
- September 1 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- OF Tyler Frost placed on the injured list - Winston-Salem Dash
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (September 1 at Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- September 1 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: September 1 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Charleston Powers Past Myrtle Beach 6-4
- Pelicans Crush RiverDogs in 15-1 Blowout
- Pelicans Slip, Fall 11-0 to the RiverDogs
- Aliendo Has Another Big Night, Pelicans Take Game One against Charleston
- Aliendo's Home Run Lifts Pelicans to Series Finale Win over Fireflies