Raquet Quiets Keys
FREDERICK, MD - Nick Raquet tossed six shutout innings and struck out a career-high 11 batters as the Potomac Nationals (69-67/39-30) blanked the Frederick Keys (53-83/24-43) 2-0 on Sunday night at Nymeo Field. It was the Keys fifth straight setback and 15th shutout loss of the year.
Raquet (11-9) scattered only four hits in the win, while reaching double-digit strikeouts for only the second time this season. The southpaw concluded his 2019 regular season with quality starts in seven of his last eight games.
Potomac assisted Raquet with a pair of runs over the first three innings. The visitors loaded the bases in the first against Blaine Knight, while a wild pitch brought Jack Sundberg home. This lead grew to a pair in the first. After KJ Harrison walked, he moved into second on a wild pitch before scoring on an Alex Dunlap RBI single.
Knight (1-12) allowed just one hit in his last two innings of work, but was tagged for the loss. Over five innings, he allowed two runs on five hits to go with three walks and seven punch outs. He three a career-high 100 pitches (62 strikes).
Offensively, the Keys got doubles from Robbie Thorburn and Zach Jarrett, while a double by Cole Billingsley to go with a single and an error put two in scoring position for Frederick in the sixth. Still, Raquet managed his way out of each snag. Jorge Pantoja shut the door in the ninth to tally his first save with the Nationals this year.
Jhon Peluffo delivered four shutout innings of relief, retiring all 12 men he faced to finish out his regular season. The four innings were a season-high for Peluffo. Overall, Frederick pitching retired 14 in-a-row to end the game.
The Keys conclude the 2019 regular season on Monday afternoon. Right-hander Ofelky Peralta (3-2, 4.84) starts for the orange and black and will be opposed by Potomac right-hander Francys Peguero (0-1, 3.66). First pitch is at 12:00 p.m. and the broadcast can be heard on frederickkeys.com and the TuneIn app. It is Fan Appreciation Day and all fans who come to the game will receive a raffle ticket with a chance to win great prizes. For tickets, fans can visit frederickkeys.com or call 301-815-9939.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Wood Ducks Fall Late To Woodpeckers In Pitcher's Duel - Down East Wood Ducks
- Raquet Quiets Keys - Frederick Keys
- P-Nats Secure Winning Season with Shutout Victory - Potomac Nationals
- Season Finale in Wilmington Cancelled - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Offense Smacks 12 Hits in 10-3 Win at Lynchburg - Winston-Salem Dash
- Mudcats Drop Fourth Straight 3-1 in Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Allen Goes Deep Twice in Dash Win over Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Birds Take Game Three over Wilmington Behind Dominant Pitching - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Eight Current & Former P-Nats Headed to 2019 Arizona Fall League - Potomac Nationals
- September 1 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- OF Tyler Frost placed on the injured list - Winston-Salem Dash
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (September 1 at Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- September 1 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: September 1 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.