Allen Goes Deep Twice in Dash Win over Hillcats
Lynchburg, Va. - The Hillcats fell behind early in their Sunday matinee against the Winston-Salem Dash and never recovered, dropping the third game of the series 10-3.
Lynchburg (30-37, 62-72) falls in its penultimate game of the season to Winston-Salem (33-35, 71-61).
Steele Walker led off the ballgame with a double for the Dash. After Walker swiped third base, a groundout by Andrew Vaughn plated Walker to put the Dash ahead 1-0.
In the second, Carlos Perez walked to lead off the frame. After a pair of Winston-Salem strikeouts, Jonathan Allen took Cody Morris (Loss, 2-2) deep in his first Carolina League plate appearance, scoring Perez to make it a 3-0 Dash lead.
The Hillcats looked to answer back in the bottom of the second. Jodd Carter swatted a one-out single to get himself aboard. Then Henry Pujols drove a fly ball deep to left, over the wall for a home run that scored Carter to cut the Winston-Salem advantage to 3-2.
The Dash erupted in the fourth. Perez reached on a leadoff double, then Jameson Fisher drew a walk. Tate Blackman singled to load the bases. Morris uncorked a wild pitch which allowed Perez to score and move the other two runners up a base. Allen singled through the right side to plate Fisher, placing runners on the corners for Winston-Salem. Allen stole second, and the throw by Hillcats backstop Jason Rodriguez sailed into center field which allowed Blackman to score. Mitch Roman hit a single of his own to plate Allen, and by the time the inning was over the Dash held a 7-2 advantage.
Allen came up again in the sixth time, this time facing off against Lynchburg reliever Aaron Pinto. The left fielder took Pinto deep as well, a solo shot that ballooned the Dash lead to 8-2.
In the eighth inning, Mitch Reeves hit a two-out triple. Will Benson knocked him home with a single to trim the deficit to 8-3.
But the Dash weren't satisfied with their lead. In the ninth, Walker hit a leadoff double. Vaughn drove him home with a single. Craig Dedelow ripped a single and Fisher drew a walk to load the bases. Blackman's single plated Vaughn to make it 10-3 Dash. The Hillcats would go scoreless in the ninth as Winston-Salem hung on for the win.
The Hillcats will look for a win to close out their 2019 campaign on Monday. Lynchburg sends right-hander Brock Hartson (2-2, 2.90) to the mound to square off against lefty Konnor Pilkington (4-9, 5.15). First pitch is set for 12:30 p.m.
Monday's game is Fan Appreciation Game at City Stadium.
For tickets or more information, visit lynchburg-hillcats.com, call 434-528-1144, or visit the City Stadium box office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Wood Ducks Fall Late To Woodpeckers In Pitcher's Duel - Down East Wood Ducks
- Raquet Quiets Keys - Frederick Keys
- P-Nats Secure Winning Season with Shutout Victory - Potomac Nationals
- Season Finale in Wilmington Cancelled - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Offense Smacks 12 Hits in 10-3 Win at Lynchburg - Winston-Salem Dash
- Mudcats Drop Fourth Straight 3-1 in Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Allen Goes Deep Twice in Dash Win over Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Birds Take Game Three over Wilmington Behind Dominant Pitching - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Eight Current & Former P-Nats Headed to 2019 Arizona Fall League - Potomac Nationals
- September 1 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- OF Tyler Frost placed on the injured list - Winston-Salem Dash
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (September 1 at Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- September 1 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: September 1 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.