P-Nats Secure Winning Season with Shutout Victory
Frederick, MD - Though their playoff hopes were dashed with a Salem Red Sox win in the afternoon, the Potomac Nationals (39-30, 69-67) continued their finishing kick with a 2-0 victory over the Frederick Keys (24-43, 53-83) on Sunday night. With their sixth consecutive win, the P-Nats have secured a winning record heading into their Labor Day finale.
LHP Nick Raquet (W, 11-9) pulled into a tie for the league lead in wins and strikeouts as he pitched 6.0 scoreless innings in his final start of the year. The lefty allowed only four hits and no walks, and established a new career high with 11 strikeouts as he dominated the Keys.
Potomac capitalized on a shaky first inning for RHP Blaine Knight (L, 1-12) to take an early lead. LF Jack Sundberg began the game with a single, took second on a wild pitch, advanced to third one pitch later on a passed ball by C Ben Breazeale, and scored on another pitch in the dirt as the P-Nats jumped ahead 1-0. Though Knight stranded two more runners in scoring position to limit further damage, the scratch run would prove to be the difference in the game.
An RBI single from C Alex Dunlap in the third inning doubled the Potomac advantage to 2-0, turning another Knight walk and wild pitch into an insurance run. That would be more than enough for Raquet, who issued a double and a single with one out in the sixth inning before striking out RF Zach Jarrett and 1B JC Escarra to escape the jam and complete his scoreless outing.
Both teams' bullpens were dominant, as RHP Jhon Peluffo pitched 4.0 perfect innings of relief for the Keys and RHP Gabe Klobosits (H, 3) worked a hitless seventh and eighth for the P-Nats. RHP Jorge Pantoja (S, 1) earned his first save of the year with a scoreless ninth, working around a pair of singles to coax a game-ending double play from 3B Patrick Dorrian.
The P-Nats play their final game of the season on Monday afternoon as RHP Francys Peguero squares off against Keys RHP Ofelky Peralta. First pitch from Nymeo Field is set for 12:00 pm, with the P-Nats Leadoff Show beginning at 11:45 am. Fans can listen to the Potomac broadcast at potomacnationals.com or on the TuneIn Radio App.
The Potomac Nationals of the Carolina League play at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge, Virginia, and are the Carolina League affiliate of the Washington Nationals. The Potomac Nationals have claimed five Carolina League Championship titles (1982, 1989, 2008, 2010, and 2014) and 10 CL Northern Division Championships. Sponsorship opportunities for the P-Nats' 2019 season and beyond are available, as well as all-inclusive corporate picnic outings to watch the future stars of the Washington Nationals at The Pfitz. 2019 Potomac Nationals season tickets and mini plans are now on sale. For more information on Potomac Nationals 2019 season tickets, mini plans, group outings, picnic packages, fundraisers, and all things Red, White, and Blue, visit the P-Nats online at www.potomacnationals.com, follow the P-Nats on Facebook (@PotomacNationals), Twitter (@PNats42), and Instagram (@pnats42), or call the Potomac Nationals' Extreme Custom Collision Ticket Office at 703-590-2311.
Fredericksburg Baseball is set to begin Carolina League play in 2020 at a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium facility, located at Celebrate Virginia South on Carl D. Silver Parkway near the Fredericksburg Expo & Convention Center in Fredericksburg, VA. Celebrate baseball in The 'Burg and stay up to date with the progress of the new ballpark facility and the team online at www.fredericksburgbaseball.com, and follow Fredericksburg Baseball on Facebook (@FredericksburgBaseball), on Twitter (@FXBGBaseball20), and on Instagram (@fredericksburgbaseball).
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Wood Ducks Fall Late To Woodpeckers In Pitcher's Duel - Down East Wood Ducks
- Raquet Quiets Keys - Frederick Keys
- P-Nats Secure Winning Season with Shutout Victory - Potomac Nationals
- Season Finale in Wilmington Cancelled - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Offense Smacks 12 Hits in 10-3 Win at Lynchburg - Winston-Salem Dash
- Mudcats Drop Fourth Straight 3-1 in Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Allen Goes Deep Twice in Dash Win over Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Birds Take Game Three over Wilmington Behind Dominant Pitching - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Eight Current & Former P-Nats Headed to 2019 Arizona Fall League - Potomac Nationals
- September 1 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- OF Tyler Frost placed on the injured list - Winston-Salem Dash
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (September 1 at Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- September 1 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: September 1 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- Potomac Nationals Players Recognized in 2019 Minor League Awards
- 2019 Potomac Nationals Season in Review
- Fredericksburg Baseball Team Gets a Name
- Carson Teel Named Carolina League Player of the Month
- Fredericksburg Baseball Hires Nick Hall as New Executive Vice President and General Manager; Bryan Holland and Aaron Johnson Promoted to Vice Presidents