Birds Score Twice in Ninth, Top BlueClaws 3-1
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Delmarva capitalized on a pair of walks to start the ninth and took the lead on a Kirvin Mosequit base hit as the Shorebirds topped Lakewood 3-1 on Friday at FirstEnergy Park.
The loss snaps Lakewood's (44-22/85-50) six-game winning streak and comes one day after they clinched the SAL Northern Division Second Half title. Delmarva (32-32/67-64) is 6-14 against the BlueClaws this year.
The Shorebirds took the lead in the ninth inning on an RBI single from Kirvin Mosequit. The inning included four walks, including two to start the frame, from Luis Carrasco (5-2), and a second run scored on a wild pitch to put Delmarva up 3-1.
The BlueClaws threatened in the bottom of the ninth but Dalton Guthrie struck out on a Nick Vespi breaking ball to end the game with the tying run at second base. Vespi earned his ninth save. Max Knutson (3-0) earned the win, allowing one run in three innings.
Delmarva got a run in the second inning on an RBI single from Mosequit. Their 1-0 lead lasted until the sixth when the BlueClaws tied the game on an RBI double to deep centerfield from Matt Vierling.
Lakewood starter Julian Garcia gave up one run over six innings, adding seven strikeouts. Shorebirds starter DL Hall went five innings, allowing no runs on two hits and adding five strikeouts. Neither factored in the decision.
Matt Vierling had two hits and Jake Scheiner drew three walks in the loss.
The BlueClaws and Shorebirds continue their four-game series on Saturday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Spencer Howard (9-8) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Jhon Peluffo (4-6).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2018
- Suns Fall 6-3 to Intimidators in Series Opener - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Dads Offense Hops on Greensboro for 11 Runs - Hickory Crawdads
- West Virginia Drops Series Opener in Extra Innings - West Virginia Power
- No Playoffs for Asheville as Tourists Fall 11-7 - Asheville Tourists
- Phillips Fans 11 En Route to a GreenJackets Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Moesquit's Single Lifts 'Birds Late - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Drive Comeback Falls Just Short on Friday - Greenville Drive
- Garcia, RiverDogs Playing Spoilers with Extra Innings Walk-Off against West Virginia - Charleston RiverDogs
- Lexington Legends Clinch Second Half Southern Division Title - Lexington Legends
- Rheams Homers Again on Friday in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Birds Score Twice in Ninth, Top BlueClaws 3-1 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Carolina Panthers to Visit McCormick Field - Asheville Tourists
- 2018 Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 31 at Augusta (Games 130 & 131) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 31) - West Virginia Power
- Magic Number Down to Three - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Claws Fall 2-1 as Legends Take SAL Title
- Claws Fall 6-3 on Thursday as Legends Take 2-1 Series Lead
- Claws Fall 5-2; Legends Level Series at 1-1
- Comeback Claws Come from Five Down in Ninth, Win Game One 6-5 at Lexington
- BlueClaws Open Playoffs with 4-2 Win at Kannapolis