Phillips Fans 11 En Route to a GreenJackets Victory
North Augusta, SC: The Augusta GreenJackets, South Atlantic League affiliate of the San Francisco Giants, split their doubleheader with the Columbia Fireflies on Friday night. The GreenJackets lost 4-0 in game one, but rebounded in game two to get a 4-0 victory.
Game one was a continuation of a previously suspended game on July 29th. Coming into the game, the Fireflies had a 2-0 lead, which they added to with a Zach Rheams two-run home run in the top of the eighth inning. The GreenJackets would have no answers as the Fireflies went on to win game one by a score of 4-0.
In game two, the GreenJackets got off to bad start by allowing the first three men to reach base. Aaron Phillips would answer by striking out the next three batters to strand the bases loaded. He would continue to dominate as Phillips went five scoreless innings, only allowing one hit. His 11 strikeouts led the way to his sixth win of the season.
At the plate, the GreenJackets put up three runs in the bottom of the second inning. The big inning would be capped off by a Ismael Munguia triple into right field that would score Tim DalPorto from first base. The GreenJackets would add another run in the fourth inning, as they went on to beat the Fireflies 4-0.
Tomorrow we will have the Human Cannonball Show. On Sunday, we will have our last fireworks show of the season to celebrate Labor Day. Finally on Monday, we will have our Labor Day Luau. Come see the GreenJackets for the last time this season! Get your tickets at www.greenjacketsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2018
- Suns Fall 6-3 to Intimidators in Series Opener - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Dads Offense Hops on Greensboro for 11 Runs - Hickory Crawdads
- West Virginia Drops Series Opener in Extra Innings - West Virginia Power
- No Playoffs for Asheville as Tourists Fall 11-7 - Asheville Tourists
- Phillips Fans 11 En Route to a GreenJackets Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Moesquit's Single Lifts 'Birds Late - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Drive Comeback Falls Just Short on Friday - Greenville Drive
- Garcia, RiverDogs Playing Spoilers with Extra Innings Walk-Off against West Virginia - Charleston RiverDogs
- Lexington Legends Clinch Second Half Southern Division Title - Lexington Legends
- Rheams Homers Again on Friday in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Birds Score Twice in Ninth, Top BlueClaws 3-1 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Carolina Panthers to Visit McCormick Field - Asheville Tourists
- 2018 Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 31 at Augusta (Games 130 & 131) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 31) - West Virginia Power
- Magic Number Down to Three - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- Ball Bounces Wrong Way for Jackets, Hickory Wins on Walk-Off Home Run
- Hickory Pitches Their Way to 3-2 Victory
- Rivera Earns First Professional Win to Start Road Trip
- Hjelle Goes Six Strong, But Charleston Steals Series Finale
- Matheny Magic Helps GreenJackets Win in Extras