Big Fifth Inning Leads 8-1 Thunder Win
AKRON, OH - The Thunder plated six runs in the fifth inning and never looked back in their 8-1 win over the Akron Rubberducks on Wednesday night at Canal Park.
Taking advantage of a pair of errors, the Thunder collected three hits and three walks in the deciding frame against Sam Hentges. Wendell Rijo plated a run after 3B Nolan Jones committed an error and Ben Ruta followed with a solid RBI single to make it 3-1. After a walk by Chris Gittens, Isiah Gilliam lifted a fly ball to deep right field that RF Trenton Brooks lost in the twilight sky and allowed three runs to cross home. Angel Aguilar added a sacrifice fly to push the lead to 7-1.
Chris Gittens added his league-leading 21st home run of the season in the sixth inning. His solo blast matched his career-high in home runs set in 2016 while playing for the Charleston Riverdogs.
Trevor Stephan made his return to the Thunder rotation with five innings of one-run ball. Stephan allowed an RBI single to Connor Marabell in the first inning and maneuvered around trouble in the second inning and settled in later in his outing; retiring 9-of-the-last-10 batters he faced. Stephan struck out seven, surrendered five hits and two walks on 76 pitches.
Braden Bristo worked out of a bases loaded no-out jam to start the seventh inning to complete two scoreless innings of relief. Bristo struck out a pair and allowed three hits and one walk.
Greg Weissert and Trevor Lane slammed the door on the victory with a hitless frame of relief from each.
Matt Lipka led the Thunder offense with a three-hit day, Hoy Jun Park added a pair of hits at the top of the order.
Your Thunder continue their road trip on Thursday night at 7:05pm against the Rubberducks. RHP Rony Garcia (3-11, 4.60) will start for the Thunder, LHP Tanner Tully (7-9, 4.40) will go for Akron. Pre-game coverage begins at 6:50pm on 920 AM The Jersey and online www.TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Baysox Earn Second Straight Shutout, 4-0 - Bowie Baysox
- Big Fifth Inning Leads 8-1 Thunder Win - Trenton Thunder
- Trenton Blasts RubberDucks, 8-1 - Akron RubberDucks
- Baumann Leads Baysox over Squirrels with Complete-Game Shutout - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Curve Edge Senators, 3-0, in Extra Innings - Altoona Curve
- Ponies Blanked by Fisher Cats in Pitchers' Duel - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Altoona Quiets Senators, 3-0 - Harrisburg Senators
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineups vs. Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Ready to Welcome 10 Millionth Fan - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #120: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (25-30, 60-59) vs. New Hampshire Fisher Cats (21-32, 52-68) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 14th at Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels, COTU Hosting Retirement Party for Chin Music on Friday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.