Betts, Hot Rods Slam Whitecaps in 9-7 Victory
Comstock Park, MI- Tony Pena had four hits and Chris Betts hit his second grand slam of the season in the Bowling Green Hot Rods 9-7 victory over the West Michigan Whitecaps in the series finale at Fifth Third Ballpark in Comstock Park, MI. The Hot Rods improve to 27-20 on the season and will begin a four-game series with the Dayton Dragons with a 6:35 PM CDT first pitch. The series is part of a seven-game home stand at Bowling Green Ballpark.
The Hot Rods took a first-inning lead against Wilkel Hernandez and the Whitecaps in the series finale. Michael Smith led off the game with a pop-up to third, but Johnny Valente dropped the ball while Smith reached. Osmy Gregorio lined a triple off the right-field wall to score Smith and make it a 1-0 Hot Rods lead. Wander Franco followed with a double to left-center to plate Gregorio and give Bowling Green a 2-0 advantage.
Bowling Green added a run against Hernandez in the third inning to extend their lead. With two outs, Jake Palomaki walked and went to third when Pena singled to right. Smith singled to right, driving home Palomaki to give Bowling Green a 3-0 lead.
Betts brought the power in the fourth inning to blow the game open against Hernandez and Whitecaps reliever Carson Lance. Franco led off the inning with a single to right and stole second, moving to third on an errant throw. Kaleo Johnson was hit by a pitch for the second time in the game, which was the final pitch of the day for Hernandez. Larson issued a four-pitch walk to load the bases for Betts, who sent a high-fly ball over the fence in right-center field to put the Hot Rods up 7-0. The grand slam was Betts' seventh homer of the season and second grand slam of the year.
The Whitecaps cut into Bowling Green's lead, sending nine hitters to the plate in the fourth while chasing Cristopher Sanchez from the game. Sam McMillan led off with a single to center while Jordan Pearce walked. Parker Meadows grounded into a fielder's choice while an errant throw allowed everyone to be safe and McMillan to score. Jeremiah Burks singled to center to make it a 7-2 game, and Chris Proctor singled to drive in Parker Meadows to cut the Hot Rods lead to 7-3.
Gregorio added to the Bowling Green lead with a boom against Lance in the fifth. Gregorio led off the frame by curling the fifth pitch of his at-bat around the right-field foul pole to make it an 8-3 game. The homer was Gregorio's fourth of the season and second Hot Rods homer of the game.
The Whitecaps scored four runs in the sixth to come within a run, but Bowling Green improved their lead by a score in the seventh. Gregorio was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning and went to second when Franco grounded out. Johnson singled to right, driving Gregorio in to make it a 9-7 game.
Sanchez tossed 3.2 innings while allowing three runs on five hits with four walks and three strikeouts in a no-decision. Miller Hogan entered out of the bullpen and threw two pitches to get the final out of the fourth inning. McClanahan (4-3) allowed four runs (three earned) on three hits with five walks and six strikeouts over five innings of work in a win.
Notes: Pena extended his hit-streak to eight games... It ties Johnson's eight-game streak for third-longest of the season... Pena had his eighth multi-hit game of the season... He tied a career-high with four hits... Pena and Roberto Alvarez are the only players to have four hits in a game this season for BG... Smith had his sixth multi-hit game of 2019... Gregorio extended his hitting streak to three games... He also tied a career-high in this with three... It was his sixth multi-hit game of the season and second three-hit effort... Franco had his 12th multi-hit game of the year... It ties him with Roberto Alvarez for the team lead... McClanahan made the first relief appearance of his professional career... He tied a career-high with five walks... Sanchez also tied his career high in walks with four... Betts hit his second grand slam of the season... The other was on May 15 against South Bend... The slam snapped a four-game homer drought for BG... His four RBI tie a career high... It's the third time he's driven in four runs... It also ties the single-game high for RBI by a Hot Rods hitter this season... Betts and Johnson are the only players on the roster to have accomplished the feat... The Hot Rods improved to 9-3 in day games... With Thursday's win, the team is 9-3-2 in series this season... They're 17-8 in games they score first... Thursday improved BG's record when out-hitting their opponent to 21-6... The Hot Rods start a seven-game home stand on Friday, beginning with a four-game series with the Dayton Dragons...The Hot Rods will send RH Alan Strong (1-3, 1.83) to the mound against Dragons RH Ricky Salinas (1-1, 4.79)... Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM, as well as, with their smart phones via the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 23, 2019
- Marcano's Walk-Off Single in 9th Beats Cubs 3-2 and Completes Sweep - South Bend Cubs
- 'Caps Walk Off, Sweep Cubs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Miscues Catch up to Loons in Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Drop Three of Four to Bandits - Kane County Cougars
- Bandits Break out in 10th Inning to Close Road Trip with Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lugs Squash Loons' Winning Streak, 9-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Gomez, Molina Carry Kernels to 2-1 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Captains Shutout Dragons in Series Finale - Dayton Dragons
- Betts, Hot Rods Slam Whitecaps in 9-7 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Run over by Hot Rods - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Hold Off Rattlers to End Wisconsinâ??s Winning Streak - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- LumberKings Return Home For Memorial Day Homestand - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Score Four in First, Hold on For 6-5 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 23 vs. South Bend (Game 44) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Burlington Splits Road Doubleheader with Cedar Rapids - Burlington Bees
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020