Beavers Put up Seven-Run Ninth in 13-3 Win Over I-Cubs
DES MOINES, Iowa - Aaron Cunningham knocked in four runs and Mike Baxter and Cedric Hunter each had three hits as the Portland Beavers used a seven-run ninth inning to pull away from the Iowa Cubs in a 13-3 victory at Principal Park Tuesday night.
Leading 4-3 after seven, the Beavers (45-73) scored twice in the eighth before sending 11 batters to the plate and scoring seven runs in the ninth - all with two outs.
After entering the game as a defensive replacement in the seventh, Cunningham cracked a two-run double in the eighth and added a two-run single in the ninth. Luis Durango was 2-for-3 with three walks, two stolen bases and three runs and Kyle Phillips and Sean Kazmar had two RBIs apiece as Portland won for the fifth time in the last seven meetings between the teams, dating back to 2009.
Josh Geer (9-9) picked up his eighth win in his last 12 starts, turning in a six-inning effort in which he allowed three runs on seven hits and two walks.
Sam Fuld, Darwin Barney and Bobby Scales each had two hits for the Cubs (), whose lead in the American Northern division slipped to 3 1/2 games over Omaha.
Jeff Samardzija (9-2) suffered his second loss, surrendering four runs on eight hits and three walks while fanning five across seven innings.
Reliever David Cales came on in the ninth and could not get three outs, giving up seven earned runs in just 2/3 of an inning.
Tied 1-1 in the third, the Beavers loaded the bases with one out on a walk by Durango and singles by Hunter and Baxter. Phillips flared a liner into center to plate two and Kazmar followed with an RBI single.
Geer cruised through six innings before Bryan LaHair doubled and Bobby Scales singled to start the seventh. Ryan Webb relieved Geer and gave up an RBI groundout to James Adduci and an RBI double to Bobby Scales to make it 4-3 but kept Portland in front.
Baxter doubled with one out in the ninth and moved to third on a wild pitch with two outs. Josh Barfield walked and Kazmar and Chris Stewart registered RBI singles with liners to left. After Cales walked Nick Green to load the bases again, Cunningham laced a single to center as Kazmar and Stewart touched home. Durango's RBI single sent Cales to the showers and Hunter's two-run double off Jake Muyco capped the Beavers' fifth inning of seven or more runs in their last 28 games.
The Beavers go for the series win Wednesday when the teams wrap up their four-game series at 10:05 a.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: It was Portland's 13th game with at least 10 hits since the All-Star break (28 games) ... Phillips pushed his hitting streak to 12 games and has hit safely in 24 of 26 games ... Baxter, who doubled twice, is hitting .476 (30-for-63) in his last 16 road games. He is batting .450 (18-for-40) in August ... Webb recorded his seventh hold in 11 outings ... reliever Luis Perdomo appeared in his league-leading 49th game by tossing the eighth inning for Portland ... Cunningham has nine RBIs in his last five games ... the Beavers scored all 13 runs with two outs ... Stewart extended his hitting streak to 11 games.
Beavers Game File TUESDAY'S GAME: Beavers 13, Iowa 3 WINNING PITCHER: Geer (9-9) LOSING PITCHER: Samardzija (9-2) SAVE: None HOME RUNS: None WEDNESDAY'S GAME: Portland (Cesar Ramos: 3-5, 3.92) at Iowa (Jay Jackson: 9-6, 4.33), 10:05 a.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast at www.portlandbeavers.com, tape-delayed broadcast on Freedom 970 AM at 7 p.m. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 10, 2010
- Royals Win 4th Straight, Tacoma Skid is 7 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Beavers Put up Seven-Run Ninth in 13-3 Win Over I-Cubs - Portland Beavers
- Round Rock Express Fall to Sacramento 5-1 - Round Rock Express
- Bullpen Implosion Keeps Cubs in Loss Column - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Cubs and Ryne Sandberg Hightlight River Cats August 13-20 Homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- PCL Names Player & Pitcher of the Week - PCL
- Salt Lake Bees And Colorado Springs Sky Sox Visit Greer During Eight-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Figueroa Placed on Temporary Inactive List, Perez Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Renos Streak Snapped In 12-5 Loss to Memphis - Reno Aces
- Sounds Blow Out Vegas, 12-2 - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Get 6-5 Win Over New Orleans Zephyrs - Salt Lake Bees
- 10th Inning Homer Stuns Zephyrs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sky Sox Win on Walk-Off, 2-1 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss