Bears Weekly: Power Play Heats up as Bears Split Weekend
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears split a pair of games last weekend and now sit at 7-8-0-1 on the 2018-19 campaign. The Chocolate and White opened the weekend with a win at the Giant Center over the Springfield Thunderbirds on Saturday evening, before falling on the road at Syracuse Sunday night. Hershey is 6-3-0-1 over the past 10 games, and the club scored a total of five power play goals this past weekend.
After enjoying a rare Friday night off last week, the Bears earned a 3-2 win over Springfield on home ice to open the weekend. The club jumped out to a 2-0 lead, scoring a pair of power play goals. Jayson Megna started the scoring at 6:46, and Nathan Walker deflected a Garrett Pilon shot on the man-advantage at 12:13 to put the Bears ahead. With Hershey ahead 2-1, Riley Barber scored on a two-man advantage at 24 seconds of the third period, giving the Bears the eventual game-winner. Hershey was out shot 18-4 in the third period, but Ilya Samsonov stood tall in goal for Hershey, earning the win with 31 saves.
On Sunday, the Bears fell 7-2 at Syracuse as the Crunch swept the two-game season series. Mike Sgarbossa and Riley Barber had power play goals for Hershey, but Syracuse went 4-for-5 on the power play to earn the win.
UPCOMING GAMES AND PROMOTIONS:
Ticket information: http://www.hersheybears.com/tickets/single-game.php
Friday, Nov. 16 vs. Cleveland, 7 p.m.
Promotion: Hershey Pharmacy & Gift Stress Puck Night (First 3,000 fans), Faith & Family Night, Dietz & Watson Dollar Dog Night
Saturday, Nov. 17 vs. Cleveland, 7 p.m.
Promotion: Sara Lee & Canteen Vending Turkey Shoot, College Night delivered by Papa Johns
The Bears are committed to giving back to the local community. On Tuesday, the team received an Introduction to the Milton Hershey School. On Wednesday, several players will assist at the Hershey Community Garden. On Thursday, select players will visit children at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
MONSTER MASH: This week the Bears welcome the Cleveland Monsters to town for a pair of games. This marks the first time the Monsters have visited Giant Center since the two teams battled in the 2016 Calder Cup Finals. The then Lake Erie Monsters swept Hershey en route to a championship. The last time Hershey played the Monsters at Giant Center in a regular season game was Jan. 18, 2013. Current Bears center Mike Sgarbossa had the winning goal for Cleveland in a 3-2 decision that evening.
RILEY ROLLS ALONG: After failing to score a goal in his first six games, forward Riley Barber has caught fire of late. The sniper has scored five goals in his past seven games. Entering this weekend, Barber has posted a pair of back-to-back multi-point games, scoring a goal and an assist in each contest. The native of Pittsburgh has taken the team lead with 11 points.
HOME POWER PLAY BREAKS OUT: Entering last Saturday's game, Hershey was 0-for-23 on the power play at the Giant Center, making them the only team in the AHL without a home power play goal. That all changed in the win over Springfield, as Hershey scored three power play goals in a single game for only the second time this season. Jayson Megna, Nathan Walker, and Riley Barber all scored their first power play goal of the season in the win.
PENALTY KILL RECORD: The Bears established a new club record with 37 consecutive penalties killed. The streak started mid-way through the Oct. 19 game at Charlotte and was intact through a perfect Nov. 10 game versus Springfield.
BEARS BITES: On Tuesday it was announced that forward Axel Jonsson-Fjallby had left the Bears to return home. He was officially loaned by the Washington Capitals to Djurgardens IF of the SHL...After 102 games with Hershey, defender Jonas Siegenthaler made his NHL debut last Friday in Washington's loss to Columbus...After a brief recall to Washington, veteran defender Aaron Ness has been re-assigned to the Bears...Hershey blue liner Tyler Lewington is now at 454 career penalty minutes, passing the great Don Cherry who had 424 in his tenure with Hershey. Lewington has penalties in six straight road games, and overall leads the league in minor penalties with 12...Defender Logan Pyett is two games away from 500 in his professional career...All five of Hershey's goals last weekend came on the power play.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 13, 2018
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Welinski - San Diego Gulls
- Phantoms Weekly - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Texas Stars Loan Elgin Pearce to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Condors Fortnite Night Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Lajoie Settling into Life in the NHL - Belleville Senators
- Bears Weekly: Power Play Heats up as Bears Split Weekend - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Ready for Rocket - Toronto Marlies
- Capitals Loan Jonsson-Fjallby to Djurgardens IF in Sweden - Hershey Bears
- Rampage Blank Moose on Cool School Day - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose in Hibernation for 5-0 School-Day Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Syracuse Crunch and New York's 529 College Savings Program Direct Plan Announce Crunch Junior Reporter - Syracuse Crunch
- Teddy Bear Toss Part of Promo-Packed November 23 Game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Griffins Begin Homestand with Three Games in Four Days this Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- The Rocket this Week - Laval Rocket
- Blackhawks Recall Defenseman Forsling - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds to Host School Day Game Wednesday, November 14 at 10:35 a.m. Inside MassMutual Center - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Dallas Stars Reassign Defenseman Ben Gleason to Texas - Texas Stars
- Heat Face the Colorado Eagles for the First Time at 6:05 p.m. PST - Stockton Heat
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Greer to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Weekly: Penguins Have Early Game Before Returning Home for the Weekend - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Erik Cernak from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Tip-A-Griffin Is Back on November 19 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Florida Panthers Assign F Micheal Haley to Springfield on Conditioning Loan - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Zykov Assigned to Charlotte for Conditioning - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: November 13 - Manitoba Moose
- Hitchcock Loaned to Worcester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 6 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.