BayHawks Best Charge on Cavs Night
The Canton Charge (4-9), presented by SecureData 365 and powered by the Cleveland Cavaliers, fell to the Erie BayHawks (4-7), 87-84, in front of 3,352 at the Memorial Civic Center for the annual Cleveland Cavaliers Night in Canton.
It was highly contested on both ends defensively to start the game in the first, with both teams shooting below 40% from the field. Canton held a 20-16 edge after the first 12 minutes thanks in part to forcing seven Erie turnovers that resulted in six points. The BayHawks' 16 points in the quarter tied a Charge opponent low this season.
Canton rolled off a 20-8 run to begin the second quarter, with Nick Minnerath scoring 13 of the team's first 14 points, to take the largest lead of the game at 40-24. With the Charge up 44-32 and 3:05 left in the half, Erie responded with a 9-3 run that saw four different players chip in with scoring to cut the deficit to 47-41 at intermission.
The Charge maintained an advantage for the entire third period due in part to an effort on the defensive end, limiting the BayHawks to 6-of-21 shooting (29%). Only three Erie players got in the scoring column in the third as, again, Canton tied an opponent low for scoring in a quarter.
Erie came alive in the fourth quarter to make their winning move. The offense hit 9-of-17 shots (53%) while getting to the foul line 17 times and converting on 11. The visitors also held Canton to 5-of-23 shooting in the fourth (22%). The BayHawks' bench scored 20 of the team's 30 points in the fourth.
Minnerath finished with a game-high 28 points on 9-of-12 shooting and 9-of-10 from the free-throw line in 30 minutes off the bench. He is averaging 28 points and six boards over his last three games, all in relief. C.J. Wilcox netted 10 points with six boards in 34 minutes on assignment from the Clippers. D.J. Stephens added 10 points, six rebounds, two steals, and two blocks in 24 minutes on his 25th birthday.
Devyn Marble led Erie with 23 points and nine boards in 31 minutes on assignment from Orlando. Melvin Ejim scored 21 points and grabbed 11 rebounds with three steals in 34 minutes. Myck Kabongo added 13 points and six rebounds in 27 minutes. The BayHawks overcame 21 turnovers that resulted in 16 points to get the win.
Canton hits the road for their next game with a visit to the Grand Rapids Drive (Detroit Pistons affiliate) on Wednesday, December 23rd at 7:00 p.m. The Charge are back home on Saturday, December 26th at 7:00 p.m. against the Raptors 905 (Toronto Raptors affiliate)! Fans can meet some of their favorite Charge players at postgame autographs, with a FREE Kids Zone presented by Constellation and more starting at just $8! For more information and to purchase tickets, head to www.CantonCharge.com.
2015-16 single game tickets and Charge Nation Memberships are on sale now starting at just $8 per game! Premium Memberships are also available, which include courtside seating and dining access in the Courtside Club presented by Budweiser starting at just $40 per game! Group discounts are available for parties of 20 or more, with Fan Experience Packages such as being a part of the high five tunnel or playing on the Charge court! For 2015-16 Charge Nation Memberships, game day promotions, and up-to-date information, head to www.CantonCharge.com or call 866-444-1944.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 19, 2015
- Legends Stomp Bighorns - Texas Legends
- Bighorns Split Weekend Series with Texas 1-1 - Reno Bighorns
- Pistons' Brandon Jennings Has Double-Double in Debut with Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Drive
- BayHawks Best Charge on Cavs Night - Canton Charge
- Red Claws Take Down Knicks - Maine Red Claws
- Iowa Energy Fall to Grand Rapids - Iowa Wolves
- Westchester Knicks Split Weekend Series with Red Claws, Falling 112-100 in Maine - Westchester Knicks
- Ronald Roberts Jr. records Raptors 905 team season-high 29 points in loss - Raptors 905
- Mavericks Assign Jeremy Evans to the Texas Legends - Texas Legends
- Boston Celtics Assign Terry Rozier to the Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Cavaliers Assign Joe Harris to Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- BayHawks Waive Samuel Deguara - Erie BayHawks
- Norman Powell Assigned to Raptors 905 - Raptors 905
- Pistons Assign Darrun Hilliard and Reggie Bullock to Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- D-Fenders Impede Stampede - Idaho Stampede
- D-Fenders Impede Stampede - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Warriors Extend Win Streak to Five, Defeat the Jam at Home - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Jam Fall to Warriors 99-93 - Bakersfield Jam
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.