Barons Conclude Road Trip with Loss to Smokies
DAK, Tenn. - A five-run sixth inning propelled the Tennessee Smokies (19-20) to a series-clinching 7-3 win over the Birmingham Barons (15-24) on Wednesday night at Smokies Stadium.
The Barons entered the sixth with a slim 2-1 lead before Tennessee capitalized upon an unusual circumstance to take the lead for good.
A rare interference call, which negated an otherwise successful pickoff play, jump-started the Smokies' surge. Barons starter Bernardo Flores, who committed the interference, was charged with just the second error of his professional career. The Smokies went on to score five runs in the frame, highlighted by a two-run home run from Charcer Burks.
Birmingham opened scoring in the opening frame when Luis Gonzalez brought home Luis Robert with a sacrifice fly. Laz Rivera then broke a 1-1 tie in the fifth when he sent an RBI-single through the left side.
Gonzalez later collected his team-leading 18th of the season after he scored Robert via a sacrifice fly for the second time. However, the run came with Birmingham down 7-2 at the time.
Flores (L, 2-5) suffered a tough loss in 5.1 innings of work. The southpaw surrendered just one earned run (five total) on six hits and did not walk a batter. Birmingham committed three errors in the game, including the interference call tagged upon Flores.
Cory Abbott (W, 4-2) earned his second win against the Barons after he allowed two runs across six innings.
Following their nine-game road trip, the Barons will return home to Regions Field as they begin a five-game series with the Mississippi Braves. First pitch in the opener is set for 7:05 p.m. Thursday.
Coverage of Thursday's game will begin at 6:50 p.m. with the Coca-Cola Pregame Show on WJOX-AM 690.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Barons Conclude Road Trip with Loss to Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Take Rubber Match 7-3 over Birmingham - Tennessee Smokies
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights May 16-20 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Atlanta Braves Select Contract of M-Braves Alum, Mississippian Austin Riley - Mississippi Braves
- Lookouts Fall Short 7-6 in Series Finale - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biloxi Blanks Jumbo Shrimp in Wednesday Rubber Match - Biloxi Shuckers
- Shuckers Take Rubber Game from Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Generals Gameday: May 15 at Mobile - Jackson Generals
- Home on Thursday: Generals Host Smokies, May 16-20 - Jackson Generals
- Angels Select Contract of Former BayBear Jared Walsh - Mobile BayBears
- Jumbo Shrimp Officially Announce 121 Financial Crustacean Corner - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Doubleheader Scheduled for June 3 at Regions Field - Birmingham Barons
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, May 15 vs. Biloxi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Four in a Row: Generals Take Back and Forth Game at Mobile, 8-7 - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Barons Stories
- Basabe Hits First Homer as Barons Fall to Shrimp
- Late Rally Falls Short as Barons Drop Close One to Shrimp
- Barons Squander Three-Hit Night from Madrigal in Loss to Jumbo Shrimp
- One Run Enough as Barons Take Opener vs. Shrimp
- Robert Leads Charge as Barons Split Doubleheader in Mobile