Atlanta Braves Select Contract of M-Braves Alum, Mississippian Austin Riley
ARL, MS - The Atlanta Braves selected the contract of INF/OF Austin Riley on Wednesday afternoon. The Hernando, Mississippi native will become the 143rd M-Braves alum and third this season to debut in major league baseball since 2005. Riley joins C Alex Jackson (4/7/19) and RHP Jacob Webb (4/16/19) as MLB debuts this season.
Over 75 games for the M-Braves in 2017 and 2018, Riley hit .321 with 19 doubles, four triples, 14 home runs, 47 RBI and a .391 OBP. This season, Riley was currently leading the International League for Triple-A Gwinnett, with 15 home runs and 39 RBI. His grand slam on Tuesday was his 13th home run in his last 18 games and his 10th in May, tying the Gwinnett record for most homers in one month.
Riley was named the Hank Aaron Award winner for Braves Minor League Player of the Year in 2018 after splitting the season between Triple-A Gwinnett and Mississippi. He hit a combined .294 (120-for-408) with 19 home runs and a .882 OPS in 108 games. He began the year with the M-Braves and hit .333 (33-for-99) with a 1.071 OPS in 27 games before a promotion to Gwinnett on May 7.
Riley was first promoted to Mississippi on July 13, 2017 and slashed .315/.389/.511 over 48 games. Riley ranked second in the Southern League in hits (56), tied for fifth in homers (8), and ranked eighth in RBI (27) from July 13 through the end of the 2017 season.
The Atlanta Braves selected Riley in the Competitive Balance A round (41st overall) of the 2015 draft out of DeSoto Central High School. Riley was an outstanding pitcher and hitter in high school, committing to play college baseball at Mississippi State before signing with the Braves. Riley hit .423 during his senior season with 11 home runs and 31 RBI, leading the Jaguars to the 6A state title. On the mound, Riley was 7-2 with a 2.70 ERA, striking out 82 and walking just 19.
The Mississippi Braves will return to Trustmark Park for a Memorial Day Weekend Celebration, May 22-26, at Trustmark Park. Saturday, May 25 the first 1,000 fans will receive an M-Braves Patriotic Cap, in partnership with Mississippi Veterans Affairs. Post-Game Fireworks will follow the game on Saturday, May 25 and Sunday, May 26. Each game will begin at 6:05 pm. For tickets or more information, visit mississippibraves.com or call 888-BRAVES4.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Barons Conclude Road Trip with Loss to Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Take Rubber Match 7-3 over Birmingham - Tennessee Smokies
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights May 16-20 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Atlanta Braves Select Contract of M-Braves Alum, Mississippian Austin Riley - Mississippi Braves
- Lookouts Fall Short 7-6 in Series Finale - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biloxi Blanks Jumbo Shrimp in Wednesday Rubber Match - Biloxi Shuckers
- Shuckers Take Rubber Game from Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Generals Gameday: May 15 at Mobile - Jackson Generals
- Home on Thursday: Generals Host Smokies, May 16-20 - Jackson Generals
- Angels Select Contract of Former BayBear Jared Walsh - Mobile BayBears
- Jumbo Shrimp Officially Announce 121 Financial Crustacean Corner - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Doubleheader Scheduled for June 3 at Regions Field - Birmingham Barons
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, May 15 vs. Biloxi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Four in a Row: Generals Take Back and Forth Game at Mobile, 8-7 - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississippi Braves Stories
- Former M-Braves Manager Brian Snitker Elected to Southern League Hall-Of-Fame
- 2020 College Series Tickets on Sale Monday, February 17 at 10:00 AM
- M-Braves Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- M-Braves to Host Job Fair on Saturday, February 15
- Atlanta Braves General Manager Alex Anthopoulos to Speak at GJCP Annual Meeting