Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, May 15 vs. Biloxi
The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp host the Biloxi Shuckers at 12:05 p.m. on Wednesday from the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. Wednesday's game is a Yuengling Business Person Special, meaning fans can purchase a package of a reserved seat, jumbo hot dog and 16 oz. Yuengling can (or small fountain soda) for just $15 at the Jumbo Shrimp box office.
SHRIMP FALL IN EXTRA INNINGS
Sixto Sanchez struck out seven in six innings of one-hit ball on Tuesday, but the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp were nipped 2-1 by the Biloxi Shuckers in 10 innings. The game was scoreless into the 10th inning. Biloxi scored the game's first run on a Weston Wilson RBI single. Later in the frame, the Shuckers tacked on another via a Jumbo Shrimp error to make it 2-0. Bryson Brigman collected an RBI single to halve the advantage in the bottom of the 10th. Jacksonville put two runners on base with two outs, but Shuckers center fielder Trent Grisham made a diving catch on a Santiago Chavez line drive to end the ballgame. Jeff Kinley whiffed four batters in two scoreless innings of relief.
WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN
Jacksonville pitchers struck out 16 Shuckers against just two walks on Tuesday, continuing a strong pitching trend of late. Entering play on May 1, Jumbo Shrimp pitchers had combined to issue 102 walks in 218.0 innings (4.2 BB/9), the second-most in the Southern League. However, in the 14 games since that point, Jacksonville has surrendered only 34 free passes in 116.1 frames (2.6 BB/9), the fewest total in the circuit during this span. Over these last 14 contests, the Jumbo Shrimp have ceded three walks or fewer in 11 different games.
RING THE BELLS
Jacksonville's bullpen has already put together two separate streaks of 20 consecutive scoreless innings this season (20 from April 4-8, 21 from April 11-17), and it appears the club has round another hot streak from its relievers. Over their last 35.0 innings of work, Jumbo Shrimp relief pitchers have surrendered just eight runs, six earned, on 26 hits (6.7 H/9) for a 1.54 ERA. During this span, they have combined for 46 strikeouts (11.8 K/9) against 13 walks (3.3 BB/9).
DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS
Jumbo Shrimp catchers have been a bright spot defensively all season for the club. Santiago Chavez's 12 men caught stealing places in a tie for the Double-A lead. Additionally, as a team, the Jumbo Shrimp have gunned down 24 potential base stealers, second in the Double-A level and fifth out of 120 teams in MiLB. Jacksonville's 46.2 percent caught stealing rate ranks third in Double-A.
NO STONE UNTURNED
In 14 games from April 18 through May 6, Jacksonville outfielder Stone Garrett went just 3-for-37 (.081) at the plate. However, in the last seven games, the Richmond, Texas native has been on fire at the plate. Garrett is 9-for-25 (.360) during this stretch, launching a homer and driving in an extraordinary eight runs while also stealing three bags. Among the 75 players in the Southern League with at least 90 plate appearances on the year, Garrett owns the circuit's third-highest line drive rate at 32.8 percent. However, he also has the second-highest swinging-strike rate at 21.0 percent.
WHAT DO WE SAY TO A BAD START? NOT TODAY.
In the first 20 games of the season, Jacksonville starting pitchers compiled a 3-13 record and 5.44 ERA over 91.0 innings. Jumbo Shrimp lid-lifters combined for 49 walks (4.8 BB/9), 89 strikeouts (8.8 K/9) and 91 hits allowed (9.0 H/9). However, the Jumbo Shrimp have seen some stellar starting pitching over the last 19 games. During this stretch, Jacksonville starters have combined for a 2.53 ERA (31 ER in 110.1 IP). Jumbo Shrimp starters have walked 33 (2.7 BB/9), fanned 87 (7.1 K/9) and yielded 85 hits (6.9 H/9) over this run.
PULL ME CLOSER IN THE BACKSEAT OF YOUR ROVER
Jacksonville's 2-1 loss to Biloxi on Tuesday is a continuation of a recent trend for the Jumbo Shrimp. Fifteen of Jacksonville's last 18 games have been decided by three runs or less. Unfortunately for the Jumbo Shrimp, they have gone just 6-9 in these tight contests during this stretch. On the season, the Jumbo Shrimp have played 25 affairs decided by no more than three runs. The club is 6-7 in one-run games and 3-1 in contests determined by three runs. However, Jacksonville is stunningly 0-8 in games decided by exactly two runs.
A Jacksonville win in Tuesday's rubber match against Biloxi would net the Jumbo Shrimp's first series win in three tries, and their first against a Southern Division opponent this season... Jacksonville has been shut out a league-high 10 times, and the Jumbo Shrimp have plated just one run in a game on seven other occasions.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Barons Conclude Road Trip with Loss to Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Take Rubber Match 7-3 over Birmingham - Tennessee Smokies
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights May 16-20 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Atlanta Braves Select Contract of M-Braves Alum, Mississippian Austin Riley - Mississippi Braves
- Lookouts Fall Short 7-6 in Series Finale - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biloxi Blanks Jumbo Shrimp in Wednesday Rubber Match - Biloxi Shuckers
- Shuckers Take Rubber Game from Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Generals Gameday: May 15 at Mobile - Jackson Generals
- Home on Thursday: Generals Host Smokies, May 16-20 - Jackson Generals
- Angels Select Contract of Former BayBear Jared Walsh - Mobile BayBears
- Jumbo Shrimp Officially Announce 121 Financial Crustacean Corner - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Doubleheader Scheduled for June 3 at Regions Field - Birmingham Barons
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, May 15 vs. Biloxi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Four in a Row: Generals Take Back and Forth Game at Mobile, 8-7 - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Sixto Scoreless as Shrimp Blank Barons 1-0
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, June 16 at Birmingham
- Early Runs Scoot Shrimp Past Barons 5-3
- Vigil to Jacksonville, Lopez to Jupiter
- Shrimp Edge Barons 3-2