Angels Select Contract of Former BayBear Jared Walsh
BILE, Ala. - The Los Angeles Angels announced Wednesday morning that they have selected the contract of Jared Walsh, a former member of the Mobile BayBears, from Triple-A Salt Lake. Walsh, one of five two-way players in the organization, is scheduled to bat eighth and play first base in his Major League debut Wednesday afternoon at Target Field against the Minnesota Twins.
Walsh, 25, played in 20 games with the BayBears in 2017 and 41 additional games in 2018. Last season, he posted a .289 batting average and was third on the team with eight home runs and a .537 slugging percentage. Walsh posted career-highs with 29 home runs, 99 RBIs, 34 doubles, 86 runs scored, and 61 walks in 128 games combined between Mobile, Salt Lake, and Inland Empire. He also pitched in eight games, including two scoreless appearances with the BayBears, and allowed just one earned run in 5 2/3 innings combined.
This season, Walsh slashed .302/.398/.604 with 10 home runs, 26 RBIs, and 22 extra-base hits in 37 games with Salt Lake. The southpaw also made five relief appearances and gave up two runs on five hits in five innings pitched. Walsh is currently the No. 20 prospect in the Angels organization, according to MLB Pipeline.
The Brookfield, Wis., native was selected by the Angels in the 39th round of the 2015 MLB Draft out of the University of Georgia. In 397 career Minor League games, Walsh has a .295 batting average with 59 home runs, 251 RBIs, and 186 extra-base hits. As a pitcher, he has allowed four earned runs in 13 2/3 innings with 15 strikeouts in 15 appearances out of the bullpen.
Walsh is set to become the 15th player to make his Major League debut for the Angels after spending time with the BayBears. He will be the 11th player from the 2018 BayBears team and 16th from the 2017 squad to appear in a Major League game. Former BayBears infielder Luis Rengifo and pitcher Griffin Canning both made their Major League debuts for the Angels in April.
Walsh is the second two-way player on the Angels active roster. Additional two-way players in the organization include current BayBears Kaleb Cowart and Bo Way, Major Leaguer Shohei Ohtani, and No. 29 prospect William English. Walsh and Cowart were East Cobb Baseball club teammates as teenagers in suburban Atlanta.
The BayBears wrap up a five-game home series against the Jackson Generals Wednesday at 6:35 p.m. Live coverage can be seen on MiLB.tv (subscription required, promo code: BAYBEARS) and heard on MobileBayBears.com, the TuneIn app, and the MiLB First Pitch app, with the Countdown to First Pitch starting at 6:15 p.m.
The BayBears host a total of 70 home dates through Labor Day, September 2. The new BayBears Pass is available, featuring a general admission ticket to every BayBears game at Hank Aaron Stadium for only $19.97 per month. Season ticket packages and partial plans are also available, featuring a 7-game plan and a 12-game option to guarantee bobbleheads and receive tickets to select fireworks nights. Individual game tickets can be purchased online at MobileBayBears.com or by calling 251-572-BEAR (2327).
Images from this story
Former Mobile BayBear Jared Walsh
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Barons Conclude Road Trip with Loss to Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Take Rubber Match 7-3 over Birmingham - Tennessee Smokies
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights May 16-20 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Atlanta Braves Select Contract of M-Braves Alum, Mississippian Austin Riley - Mississippi Braves
- Lookouts Fall Short 7-6 in Series Finale - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biloxi Blanks Jumbo Shrimp in Wednesday Rubber Match - Biloxi Shuckers
- Shuckers Take Rubber Game from Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Generals Gameday: May 15 at Mobile - Jackson Generals
- Home on Thursday: Generals Host Smokies, May 16-20 - Jackson Generals
- Angels Select Contract of Former BayBear Jared Walsh - Mobile BayBears
- Jumbo Shrimp Officially Announce 121 Financial Crustacean Corner - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Doubleheader Scheduled for June 3 at Regions Field - Birmingham Barons
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, May 15 vs. Biloxi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Four in a Row: Generals Take Back and Forth Game at Mobile, 8-7 - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.