Four in a Row: Generals Take Back and Forth Game at Mobile, 8-7
Mobile, Ala. - The Jackson Generals, the Double-A affiliate of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, held off the battling Mobile BayBears in an 8-7 win on Tuesday night at Hank Aaron Stadium. The win pushes Jackson (21-16) five games over .500 for the first time this year, while Mobile (15-23) lost their fifth game in a row.
In his first start at Double-A after a stint with Triple-A Reno, Justin Donatella didn't get past the fifth inning. The right-hander gave up a pair of runs on a two-run homer in the second inning, and another scored on Mobile's third hit of the fourth inning. Donatella left the bases loaded when he was pulled with one out in the fifth inning, and Lucas Luetge gave up a sacrifice fly and an RBI single in relief to allow Mobile to close within a run at 6-5.
Pitching for the first time at Double-A, Connor Grey (1-0, 4.50 ERA) threw a 1-2-3 sixth inning, but he struggled in the seventh, bitten by a two-out RBI single that tied the game at 6-6. Junior Garcia (S, 1) also gave up a run-scoring single, but his eighth-inning hiccup was followed by a three-batter ninth inning that preserved a one-run win.
The Jackson bats feasted on Mobile spot starter Simon Mathews, who allowed six earned runs on five hits and six walks over two and one-third innings. A third-inning homer by Jazz Chisholm put the Generals on top 6-2, but the visitors did not score again until the game was tied 6-6 in the eighth inning. A lead-off walk to Ryan Grotjohn, followed by a Daulton Varsho single and a wild pitch, eventually hung the loss on the shoulders of Mobile's Joe Gatto (3-1, 1.74 ERA). Varsho and Grotjohn each scored a pair of runs on the night, while Chisholm drove in two runs to help the cause. Jackson finished 4-for-12 with men in scoring position.
NEXT GENERALS GAME:
6:35 pm CT Wednesday (5/15) at Mobile BayBears
Hank Aaron Stadium - Mobile, Ala.
RHP Bo Takahashi (2-2, 5.00 ERA) vs. RHP Jeremy Beasley (1-3, 5.61 ERA)
BROADCAST: Mobile BayBears Baseball Network
UP AND COMING AT
Generals vs. Tennessee Smokies
(AA, Chicago Cubs)
Wizard Night (Saturday, May 18)!
For tickets and more information about the Generals, dial 731.988.5299 or log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Barons Conclude Road Trip with Loss to Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Take Rubber Match 7-3 over Birmingham - Tennessee Smokies
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights May 16-20 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Atlanta Braves Select Contract of M-Braves Alum, Mississippian Austin Riley - Mississippi Braves
- Lookouts Fall Short 7-6 in Series Finale - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biloxi Blanks Jumbo Shrimp in Wednesday Rubber Match - Biloxi Shuckers
- Shuckers Take Rubber Game from Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Generals Gameday: May 15 at Mobile - Jackson Generals
- Home on Thursday: Generals Host Smokies, May 16-20 - Jackson Generals
- Angels Select Contract of Former BayBear Jared Walsh - Mobile BayBears
- Jumbo Shrimp Officially Announce 121 Financial Crustacean Corner - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Doubleheader Scheduled for June 3 at Regions Field - Birmingham Barons
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, May 15 vs. Biloxi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Four in a Row: Generals Take Back and Forth Game at Mobile, 8-7 - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jackson Generals Stories
- Shadrack's Christmas Light Show Begins at the Ballpark on November 13th
- Generals Unveil Newest Economic Impact Study
- Jerry "The King" Lawler to Host 50th Anniversary Event in Jackson
- Minor League Baseball Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season
- Snoop Dogg and Twista Concert Postponed