Smokies Take Rubber Match 7-3 over Birmingham
DAK - The Tennessee Smokies (19-20) defeated the Birmingham Barons (15-24) 7-3 to win the series at Smokies Stadium on Wednesday night.
After scoring a season high seven runs in the seventh inning in Tuesday's 9-4 win, the Smokies kept the offense rolling with another multi-run inning Wednesday night.
Birmingham grabbed an early, 1-0, lead in the first after Luis Gonzalez hit a sacrifice fly to score Luis Robert. Then in the fourth inning, a wild pitch from Barons RHP Bernardo Flores (L, 2-5) allowed Vimael Machin to steal home and tie the game up at 1-1. The Barons regained the lead off a Laz Rivera RBI single, scoring Blake Rutherford.
In the fifth frame, the Smokies exploded for five runs. Vimael Machin continued his hot bat when he drove Roberto Caro in to pick up a team-best seventh RBI in the month of May. Next, P.J. Higgins singled to centerfield which scored Caro and Machin to give the Smokies a 4-2 lead.
Charcer Burks' first home run of the season came in style with a two-run no-doubter off Flores to left-field, extending the Smokies' lead to 6-2.
RHP Cory Abbott (W, 4-2) commanded the mound for Tennessee, tossing six innings, striking out four and giving up two runs on four hits. He has thrown for at least five innings in seven of his eight starts and has not allowed more than two runs in his previous three starts.
The final Smokies run was tacked on in the seventh when Connor Myers turned a ground ball into three bases, courtesy of an overthrow to first base from third baseman Ti'Quan Forbes. In the next at bat, Caro's sacrifice fly ball sent Myers home giving the Smokies a 7-3 final score.
The Barons would threaten in the top of the ninth, though. RHP Craig Brooks was able to work out of a bases loaded, two outs situation with no damage, striking out Robert to end the game.
The Smokies hit the road for a five-game series in Jackson against the Generals starting Thursday at 7 pm ET. RHP Oscar De La Cruz (0-1, 0.82) takes the mound for the Smokies, and Jackson starts RHP Matt Peacock (2-2, 2.83) in the series opener.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Barons Conclude Road Trip with Loss to Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Take Rubber Match 7-3 over Birmingham - Tennessee Smokies
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights May 16-20 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Atlanta Braves Select Contract of M-Braves Alum, Mississippian Austin Riley - Mississippi Braves
- Lookouts Fall Short 7-6 in Series Finale - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biloxi Blanks Jumbo Shrimp in Wednesday Rubber Match - Biloxi Shuckers
- Shuckers Take Rubber Game from Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Generals Gameday: May 15 at Mobile - Jackson Generals
- Home on Thursday: Generals Host Smokies, May 16-20 - Jackson Generals
- Angels Select Contract of Former BayBear Jared Walsh - Mobile BayBears
- Jumbo Shrimp Officially Announce 121 Financial Crustacean Corner - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Doubleheader Scheduled for June 3 at Regions Field - Birmingham Barons
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, May 15 vs. Biloxi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Four in a Row: Generals Take Back and Forth Game at Mobile, 8-7 - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tennessee Smokies Stories
- Tennessee Smokies Release Promotional Schedule for the Remainder of the Season
- 2020 Silver Smokies Registration Is Now Open
- Tennessee Smokies Announce Fandemonium for the 2020 Season
- Smokies Host Second Job Fair at Smokies Stadium
- Tennessee Smokies Release June Promotional Schedule