Barnstormers Romp To #1000
The Lancaster Barnstormers picked up the 1,000th win in franchise history in style Saturday night.
Lancaster banged out 19 hits, including seven for extra bases in a 10-3 romp over the Somerset Patriots in the second game of a four-game weekend series at Clipper Magazine Stadium.
Bats were booming for the Barnstormers all night long, but five hits went to waste over the first two innings. The 'Stormers finally reached the scoreboard in the third when Caleb Gindl launched a one-out triple to the gap in left center and scored on a single to left by Joe Terdoslavich, who collected four hits in the game.
The fourth inning was where the game broke open. Anderson De La Rosa led off with a double to the wall in right and took third on Darian Sandford's bunt single. De La Rosa scored on a wild pitch during a walk to Michael Martinez. Dan Gamache produced the second run of the inning off Brett Oberholtzer (1-1) on a single to right that scored Sandford. Martinez took third as the ball briefly eluded Rey Navarro and scored on a sacrifice fly to left by Gindl.
Lancaster loaded the sacks on a single by Terdoslavich and a walk to Josh Bell before K.C. Hobson yanked a grand slam onto the tent in right to cap the seven-run inning, Lancaster's biggest of the year.
Although the hits kept coming, the Barnstormers only scored again on a two-run homer to right center by Gindl in the bottom of the eighth.
The offensive surge provided more than ample breathing room for Kyle Davies (1-1) who gave the Barnstormers his third straight quality start. Davies retired 12 of 13 over the first four innings before being reached by the Patriots on a Will Kengor double and Navarro's homer to right center.
Davies choked off an uprising in the sixth, but the former Patriot issued a leadoff walk to Michael Ohlman in the seventh, and Navarro singled to right. The run scored on a Mike Fransoso double play.
Lancaster entertains the Patriots in a doubleheader on Sunday afternoon. The opener will feature a matchup of left-handers with Buddy Baumann (2-0) taking on Somerset's Rick Teasley (0-0). Spot starters Vince Molesky (1-0) and Alejandro Chacin (1-0) will lock horns in the second game. Fans may tune into Blue Ridge Cable 11 or the Barnstormers YouTube Channel for the opener. The second game will be on the YouTube Channel only.
NOTES: Lancaster established its new season high for hits by the fourth inning...Hobson's homer was his 59th as a Barnstormer, tying him for third on the all-time list...Gindl had his fourth game of the year with a homer and three RBI...His triple was Lancaster's first of the season...Kelvin Vasquez made his Atlantic League debut for the Barnstormers in the eighth...He walked the leadoff batter before retiring the side in order...Lancaster's 1,000th win came against Patriots' skipper Brett Jodie, who was also the losing pitcher in the Barnstormers' first win.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Revs Edged in Sugar Land on Saturday Night - York Revolution
- Bees Offense Explodes In Nightcap To Split Twin-Bill - New Britain Bees
- Barnstormers Romp To #1000 - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Ducks Split Day/Night Doubleheader with Bees - Long Island Ducks
- Rockers Win Series Deciding Game Two - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Big Inning Dooms Somerset in 10-3 Loss - Somerset Patriots
- Late Inning Magic Lifts Ducks Over Bees - New Britain Bees
- Washington's Four-RBI Day Lifts Ducks in Twin Bill Opener - Long Island Ducks
- Help Us Honor Our Law Enforcement - High Point Rockers
- Offense Breaks out and Bullpen Holds It Down as Revs Win in Sugar Land - York Revolution
- Ducks Power Their Way To Victory Over Bees - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lancaster Barnstormers Stories
- Clipper Magazine Stadium and the Barnstormers to Host Largest Donation Event in Lancaster
- Over $24,000 Donated to Area Non-Profit Organizations Through Barnstormers Christmas Tree Lane Event
- A Note from the Barnstormers
- Winners of First Responders Home Run Derby Announced
- First Responders Home Run Derby this Weekend at Clipper Magazine Stadium