Ducks Power Their Way To Victory Over Bees
(Central Islip, NY) - The Long Island Ducks (15-6) defeated the New Britain Bees (7-11) 5-2 at Bethpage Ballpark on Friday night in the opener of a four-game weekend series in the Empire State.
New Britain starting pitcher Cory Riordan (1-2) was tagged with the loss, allowing four runs on eight hits (two home runs) in six innings pitched, striking out four. Long Island pitcher Sean Nolin (3-0) picked up the win after giving up just one run on seven hits in five innings on the mound while striking out six. Enrique Burgos retired all three batters he faced in the top half of the ninth inning for team-leading third save of the season.
Long Island took a 3-0 lead after just two innings of play thanks to a pair of home runs versus Riordan, the first produced by Kirk Nieuwenhuis, a solo shot to right field in the home half of the first frame, and a two-run tater to right centerfield in the second off the bat of David Washington. New Britain cut the deficit to 3-1 in the top of the fourth when Bijan Rademacher plated Jason Rogers with a two-out run-scoring infield single after Rogers singled sharply to left field with one man down. Trailing 5-1 in the eighth, the Bees got back to within three runs at 5-2 when Alejandro De Aza hustled down the line from third base on a wild pitch thrown by Ducks reliever Kam Mickolio after De Aza doubled into the gap in right centerfield which at the time put runners at second and third with nobody out. The comeback would fall just short as Vin Mazzaro and Burgos retired the final four batters of the ballgame en route to the victory for the Flock. Ozzie Martinez led the way for New Britain with three hits, his fourth multi-hit game of the season and first of the three-hit variety. Photo provided courtesy of Joe Doll.
The Bees return to New Britain Stadium on Friday, May 24th when they welcome in the High Point Rockers to the Hardware City for the first time in franchise history, kicking off a three-game Memorial Day Weekend series as well as a seven-game homestand. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 P.M. It will be the Bees Best Bites Wing Night! When the gates open at 5:35 P.M., everyone in attendance can purchase a wristband for just five dollars, enabling them to try wings from local restaurants and vote for their favorites! It will also be another Fat Tire Friday, as fans 21 and older can enjoy Fat Tire Belgian Ale drafts for just five dollars!
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Revs Edged in Sugar Land on Saturday Night - York Revolution
- Bees Offense Explodes In Nightcap To Split Twin-Bill - New Britain Bees
- Barnstormers Romp To #1000 - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Ducks Split Day/Night Doubleheader with Bees - Long Island Ducks
- Rockers Win Series Deciding Game Two - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Big Inning Dooms Somerset in 10-3 Loss - Somerset Patriots
- Late Inning Magic Lifts Ducks Over Bees - New Britain Bees
- Washington's Four-RBI Day Lifts Ducks in Twin Bill Opener - Long Island Ducks
- Help Us Honor Our Law Enforcement - High Point Rockers
- Offense Breaks out and Bullpen Holds It Down as Revs Win in Sugar Land - York Revolution
- Ducks Power Their Way To Victory Over Bees - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.