Bees Offense Explodes In Nightcap To Split Twin-Bill
(Central Islip, NY) - The New Britain Bees (8-12) defeated the Long Island Ducks (16-7) 12-2 at Bethpage Ballpark on Saturday evening to gain a split of the day/night doubleheader as the Bees tally their first victory in the four-game weekend series while also coming away victorious versus the Flock for the first time in the 2019 Atlantic League of Professional Baseball regular season.
New Britain starting pitcher Jed Bradley (1-0) record his first ever win in a Hardware City jersey after allowing just one run on two hits in five innings pitched, walking two while striking out four and throwing a wild pitch. Long Island starting pitcher Alec Asher did not factor in the game's final outcome, giving up one run on four hits in four innings of work, walking and striking out one.
With the score all square at one in the top half of the fifth inning, New Britain went to work against losing pitcher Brett Marshall (1-3) scoring three runs to take a 4-1 advantage (one they would never relinquish), with the big blow coming off the bat of Darren Ford who belted a go-ahead two-run home run to left centerfield, his first roundtripper of the season, and an RBI double produced by Alejandro De Aza. Leading 5-1, the Bees offense went to work once again in the seventh thanks to a wild pitch, a run-scoring double from Jason Rogers and a sacrifice fly by Bijan Rademacher. The visitors put the capper on their best single-game run and hit production in the top of the eighth, scoring four more times to break the ballgame wide open at 12-2 as De Aza cleared the bases with a three-run double and Jonathan Galvez contributed with an RBI two-base hit of his own. It was all smiles for skipper Goose Gozzo and his troops in the nightcap, as seven starters the New Britain manager penciled into the lineup had multi-hit games, with Darren Ford leading the outburst with three hits, just a triple away from the cycle. Photo provided courtesy of Joe Doll.
The Bees return to New Britain Stadium on Friday, May 24th when they welcome in the High Point Rockers to the Hardware City for the first time in franchise history, kicking off a three-game Memorial Day Weekend series as well as a seven-game homestand. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 P.M. It will be the Bees Best Bites Wing Night! When the gates open at 5:35 P.M., everyone in attendance can purchase a wristband for just five dollars, enabling them to try wings from local restaurants and vote for their favorites! It will also be another Fat Tire Friday, as fans 21 and older can enjoy Fat Tire Belgian Ale drafts for just five dollars!
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Revs Edged in Sugar Land on Saturday Night - York Revolution
- Bees Offense Explodes In Nightcap To Split Twin-Bill - New Britain Bees
- Barnstormers Romp To #1000 - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Ducks Split Day/Night Doubleheader with Bees - Long Island Ducks
- Rockers Win Series Deciding Game Two - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Big Inning Dooms Somerset in 10-3 Loss - Somerset Patriots
- Late Inning Magic Lifts Ducks Over Bees - New Britain Bees
- Washington's Four-RBI Day Lifts Ducks in Twin Bill Opener - Long Island Ducks
- Help Us Honor Our Law Enforcement - High Point Rockers
- Offense Breaks out and Bullpen Holds It Down as Revs Win in Sugar Land - York Revolution
- Ducks Power Their Way To Victory Over Bees - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.