Washington's Four-RBI Day Lifts Ducks in Twin Bill Opener
(Central Islip, N.Y.) - The Long Island Ducks defeated the New Britain Bees 5-4 in a seven-inning game on Saturday afternoon in the opener of a day/night doubleheader at Bethpage Ballpark.
Jason Rogers gave the Bees a 1-0 first-inning lead with an RBI double to right field off Ducks starter Bennett Parry. David Washington answered with a three-run homer to right in the bottom of the second off Bees starter Anthony Marzi to put the Ducks on top 3-1.
Lew Ford lifted a sacrifice fly to right in the third, increasing Long Island's lead to 4-1. However, a three-run fifth by New Britain evened the score at four. A run-scoring wild pitch, an RBI single by Alejandro De Aza and a bases loaded walk to Bijan Rademacher did the damage.
The Ducks would grab the lead back for good in the bottom of the sixth. Lew Ford drew a leadoff walk, and Washington delivered a two-out RBI single to right, scoring pinch-runner Daniel Fields to put the Flock ahead 5-4. New Britain put the first two men on base in the seventh, but George Kontos retired three straight hitters to end the ballgame.
Parry did not factor into the decision but lasted four innings, allowing four runs on five hits and four walks while striking out seven. Vin Mazzaro (1-1) picked up the win after pitching a 1-2-3 sixth inning, striking out two. Marzi (0-1) took the loss, giving up five runs on six hits and two walks in five and two-thirds innings while striking out five. Kontos earned his third save with a scoreless ninth inning.
Washington led the Flock offensively with two hits and four RBIs.
The Ducks and Bees continue their day/night doubleheader later this evening. Game time for the nightcap, which will be a nine-inning game, is slated for 6:35 p.m., with the Bethpage Ballpark gates opening at 5:35 (5:20 for full season ticket holders). Following the game, all fans in attendance will be treated to a Fireworks Spectacular, presented by Long Island Teachers. In addition, Ducks staff members will be handing out coupons for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more at Dick's Sporting Goods to fans as they exit the ballpark following the game.
Tickets to the game, and all Ducks home games, can be purchased by visiting the box office, calling (631) 940-TIXX. Those unable to make the game can follow all the action on the Long Island Ducks Broadcast Network. Live streaming video and audio will be available via BoxCast on LIDucks.com, Facebook Live and the Ducks official YouTube channel.
The Long Island Ducks are members of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball and play their home games at Bethpage Ballpark. For further information, call (631) 940-DUCK or visit www.liducks.com.
Images from this story
David Washington of the Long Island Ducks rounds the bases
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Revs Edged in Sugar Land on Saturday Night - York Revolution
- Bees Offense Explodes In Nightcap To Split Twin-Bill - New Britain Bees
- Barnstormers Romp To #1000 - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Ducks Split Day/Night Doubleheader with Bees - Long Island Ducks
- Rockers Win Series Deciding Game Two - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Big Inning Dooms Somerset in 10-3 Loss - Somerset Patriots
- Late Inning Magic Lifts Ducks Over Bees - New Britain Bees
- Washington's Four-RBI Day Lifts Ducks in Twin Bill Opener - Long Island Ducks
- Help Us Honor Our Law Enforcement - High Point Rockers
- Offense Breaks out and Bullpen Holds It Down as Revs Win in Sugar Land - York Revolution
- Ducks Power Their Way To Victory Over Bees - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.