Baldwin Named Assistant Coach of the Steelheads
Boise, ID (09/24/15) - Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Neil Graham announced a new addition to his coaching staff on Thursday, hiring Gord Baldwin as Assistant Coach of the ECHL's Idaho Steelheads. Baldwin will make his coaching debut for the Steelheads after playing eight seasons of pro hockey.
Baldwin, 28, is a former third-round NHL draft pick of the Calgary Flames in 2005. He played defense for the Steelheads for 26 games during the 2012-13 season, registering 14 points (three goals, 11 assists) and posting a +11 rating before being called up to the AHL's Texas Stars. He returned to Idaho at the end of that season and added three assists in 13 playoff games.
"Hiring Gord was a no-brainer," said Graham, who played alongside Baldwin as a player-coach during the 2012-13 season. "Gord was the first call I made and I couldn't be happier that he agreed to come aboard. He's a huge piece in building the 'family atmosphere' we want between this team and the community. He's a leader and a strong character person."
After leaving the Steelheads in 2013, Baldwin played the past two seasons with the Sheffield Steelers of the Elite Ice Hockey League in England. Baldwin's eight-year career also included stints with the Quad City Flames and Abbotsford Heat in the AHL, the Las Vegas Wranglers in the ECHL, and one season in the Czech Republic. Baldwin tallied 19 goals and 104 points in 436 career games.
"It's a different transition going from playing to coaching right away, but I've taken a lot from the coaches I've had in the past and I'm really looking forward to it," said Baldwin, who will give particular focus to the team's defensemen. "I'm excited for the players to get here and to teach them, build them, and develop them both as players and people."
The Steelheads open the regular season on Friday, October 16, at home against the Rapid City Rush. It is the first of 36 home games, each of which will be played at CenturyLink Arena. Individual game tickets go on sale Monday, September 28th at the CenturyLink Arena box office.
Season tickets are on sale now with full-season packages starting as low as $275 per seat for all 36 home games. Partial-season packages are also available. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to www.idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from September 24, 2015
- Rush Medical Team Signs On For Eighth Season - Rapid City Rush
- New Additions Round out Hockey Operations Staff - Norfolk Admirals
- Five Rush Players Invited to AHL Camps - Rapid City Rush
- Missouri Agrees to Terms with Kellen and Connor Jones - Kansas City Mavericks
- Seven Mallards Bound for AHL Camps - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Bring Back Perry and Wysopal - Cincinnati Cyclones
- IceMen Reveal Promotional Calendar, Back to the Future Jerseys - Evansville IceMen
- Kwas Returns to Eagles for 2015-16 Season - Colorado Eagles
- Stingrays Trade Rights to Moffie to Missouri for Rights to Pacan - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Acquire Rights to Greg Wolfe - Adirondack Thunder
- Aces Acquire Maxwell from Adirondack - Alaska Aces
- Baldwin Named Assistant Coach of the Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Champions Sign Ludwig and Clarke - Allen Americans
- Beast Announce 2015-16 Training Camp Dates and Roster Hopefuls - Brampton Beast
- Ortio on a Mission - Adirondack Thunder
- Seven Royals to Participate in AHL Training Camps - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbit Fever Sweeping the Nation - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala Returns to Steelheads from Texas
- Steelheads Weekly - October 21, 2019
- Steelheads Net Four-Unanswered, Stay Unbeaten in 5-2 Win over Thunder
- Steelheads Sell out Home Opener, Start with 2-1 OT Win over Thunder
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala Recalled to Texas Stars