Back-To-Back Home Runs Not Enough in Game One
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - Despite back-to-back home runs by the Lexington Legends in the second inning, the Augusta GreenJackets took game one 4-3.
The GreenJackets got to scoring early. In the top of the first inning, Simon Whiteman hit a groundball down the third base side. Third baseman, Nate Eaton, committed an error on the throw and Whiteman advanced to second base. Francisco Tostado then singled to right field, moving Whiteman to third. Whiteman scored on a wild pitch by Bryce Hensley. Jacob Gonzalez drew a walk, putting two runners on the base path. A two run single by Jose Layer extended Augusta's lead, 3-0. Tyler Flores then lined a single to right field scoring Layer and the Legends trailed, 4-0.
Lexington's Chris Hudgins and Reed Rohlman then went back-to-back with homers in the in bottom of the second inning pulling within two runs, 4-2.
The Legends struck again in the bottom of the eighth inning. Jackson Lueck drew a leadoff walk then moved to third on a single to right field by Jeison Guzman. Chris Hudgins then plated Lueck on a single to right field and Lexington trailed, 4-3.
Keaton Winn was awarded the victory tossing 6.0 innings allowing two runs on six hits while striking out eight. Bryce Hensley was given the loss pitching 5.0 innings allowing four runs on seven hits while walking one and striking out five.
The Legends and GreenJackets meet again tomorrow night at 6:35pm for game two. RHP Yohanse Morel will be on the bump for Lexington to face Augusta's RHP Adam Oller.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Reed Rohlman of the Lexington Legends
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 26, 2019
- Intimidators Drop Last Game in Lexington in Extras - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Medina Continues Hot Stretch with Two-Hit Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Biggers Comes Double Shy of Cycle But 'Dads Fall - Hickory Crawdads
- Aggressive Tourists Take out Crawdads - Asheville Tourists
- Back-To-Back Home Runs Not Enough in Game One - Lexington Legends
- Rodriguez Fans Ten, 'Birds Ride Big Fourth - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Rinehart Shines in Relief Despite Walk-Off Loss - West Virginia Power
- Mendoza Drives in Five in 7-3 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- GreenJackets Hang on for 4-3 Win over Lexington - Augusta GreenJackets
- Don't Call It a Comeback, RiverDogs Fall Short in Eastern Shore Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Silva, Lindow Shine in 2-0 Friday Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 26 vs. Hagerstown (Game 101) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 26) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Suns Shutout Braves 2-0 in 10 Innings - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Legends Clinch Back-To-Back South Atlantic League Championships with Late Inning Theatrics
- Hickory Hands Lexington First Playoff Loss
- Legends Headed Back to SAL Championship Series
- Lexington's Emma Tiedemann Named SAL Media Relations Director of the Year
- Lexington Powers Down West Virginia with Doubleheader Sweep