Austin Spurs Top Northern Arizona Suns 109-102
CEDAR PARK, Texas (Jan. 9, 2020) - The Austin Spurs (14-9), presented by SWBC, defeated the Northern Arizona Suns (5-17) 109-102 for their fifth-straight win Thursday night at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park.
San Antonio Spurs assignee Keldon Johnson led the Spurs in scoring with 22 points (8-17 FG, 4-5 FT) in 32 minutes, while Spurs assignee Luka Samanic finished with 18 points (5-12 FG, 1-5 3FG, 4-4 FT) to go along with 7 rebounds and 2 blocks in 35 minutes.
Angel Rodriguez recorded 17 points (5-11 FG, 3-6 3FG, 3-3 FT) and 4 steals in 33 minutes of play. Daulton Hommes chipped in 13 points (4-6 FG, 3-5 3FG, 1-1 FT) in 16 minutes off the bench, while Quinndary Weatherspoon finished with 12 points (6-13 FG) and 5 rebounds in 30 minutes of play.
The Suns started the game on a 7-0 run, establishing an early lead in the game. The Spurs immediately answered with a 7-0 run of their own to tie the game at 7 with 8:41 left in the first quarter.
The game featured eight ties and nine lead changes in the first half alone, with the Spurs taking a 59-56 edge going into the half.
In the third quarter, the two teams scored 25 points each, giving the Spurs an 84-81 advantage going into the last frame. The Spurs proceeded to open the fourth on a 12-2 run, giving them a 13-point lead, their largest of the game, at 96-83 with 7:04 left in the game. The Suns cut the lead to 5 points (98-93) with 4:48 remaining, but came up short, allowing the Spurs the wins. Johnson and Rodriguez paced the Spurs in the second half, scoring 14 and 12 points respectively.
For the Suns, Jared Harper led all scorers with 24 points in 33 minutes. Six other Suns' players finished with double-digit points, including David Kramer (15), Anthony Lawrence II (14), Ahmed Hill (12), Tariq Owens (11) and Trayvon Palmer (10).
The Austin Spurs hit the road for their next game to take on the South Bay Lakers on Sunday, Jan. 12 at 7 p.m. at the UCLA Health Training Center. For tickets or the full season schedule, visit austinspurs.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 10, 2020
- Hustle Drop Tight Contest in Salt Lake City - Memphis Hustle
- Blue Coats Drop Back-And-Forth Home Contest to Grand Rapids - Delaware Blue Coats
- Bulls Go Down at Home to Skyhawks, 114-103 - Windy City Bulls
- Greensboro Comes up Short in Overtime Thriller - Greensboro Swarm
- Drive Top Blue Coats After Impressive 4th Quarter - Grand Rapids Drive
- Knicks Falls in Heartbreak at the Buzzer - Westchester Knicks
- Magic Beat the Knicks at the Buzzer - Lakeland Magic
- Clippers Put Clamps Down on Wolves Offense - Iowa Wolves
- Big Fourth Gives Clips First Win of the Decade - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Austin Spurs Top Northern Arizona Suns 109-102 - Austin Spurs
- Suns Drop Battle of the 2020 Undefeateds - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.