Drive Top Blue Coats After Impressive 4th Quarter
WILMINGTON, DELAWARE - The Grand Rapids Drive (13-10) earned their second straight win during an intense back-and-forth contest with the Blue Coats on Friday night. The Drive made a comeback after trailing by as many as 12 in the third, ultimately winning by a final score of 100-91 after an impressive 34-point fourth quarter.
Dynamic big man Donta Hall earned his sixth-straight double-double, finishing the night with 16 points on an efficient 8-12 shooting to go with his 16 rebounds. The Drive's other big man Adam Woodbury added another strong double-double for the team with 16 points and 11 rebounds. Pistons two-way player Louis King racked up 12 points, 9 rebounds and 2 steals. Todd Withers added 11 points, 6 rebounds and 2 steals and Tra-Deon Hollins paced both ends of the court effectively by contributing an impressive 12 assists to go with 8 points, 5 steals and 4 rebounds, finishing with a plus/minus of +29.
The Blue Coats were led by 76ers assignee Zhaire Smith who finished with a team-high 19 points, 4 assists and 3 rebounds. Philadelphia two-way player Marial Shayok followed up with 14 points and 6 rebounds. Other Blue Coats in double figures were Jared Brownridge (13 points & 5 rebounds), Xavier Munford (11 points, 8 assists & 4 rebounds) and Shizz Alston Jr. (10 points).
It was an even contest all night that resulted in 13 lead changes and seven ties during the game. After getting off to a slow start, Grand Rapids picked up the pace in the fourth, outscoring the home team by 12 points (34-22) in the final 12 minutes. The Drive tallied up a total of 28 second-chance points, largely due to their ability to crash the boards 68 times compared to 48 for the Blue Coats. The Drive's 68 team rebounds bested the previous record of 64 which was last recorded against the Bulls on February 27, 2018.
The Blue Coats will head to Lakeland to take on the Magic on Tuesday, January 14. The Drive will quickly hit road and head to Portland to face off with the Red Claws tomorrow night for the second game of a 3-game road trip. Tip off for both games is 7 p.m.
Highlights:Full Game >>> https://bit.ly/2uyxcri
Box Score >>> http://on.nba.com/2R46H4J
Donta Hall (16pts, 16reb & 8-12 FGM) >>> https://bit.ly/2sdIfW5
Adam Woodbury (16pts & 11reb) >>> https://bit.ly/2NeC8Iw
Louis King (12pts, 9reb & 2stl) >>> https://bit.ly/2R21Sc6
Todd Withers (11pts, 6reb & 2stl) >>> https://bit.ly/37WBuaA
Tra-Deon Hollins (8pts, 12ast, 5stl & +29) >>> https://bit.ly/2Tc6tLr
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 10, 2020
- Hustle Drop Tight Contest in Salt Lake City - Memphis Hustle
- Blue Coats Drop Back-And-Forth Home Contest to Grand Rapids - Delaware Blue Coats
- Bulls Go Down at Home to Skyhawks, 114-103 - Windy City Bulls
- Greensboro Comes up Short in Overtime Thriller - Greensboro Swarm
- Drive Top Blue Coats After Impressive 4th Quarter - Grand Rapids Drive
- Knicks Falls in Heartbreak at the Buzzer - Westchester Knicks
- Magic Beat the Knicks at the Buzzer - Lakeland Magic
- Clippers Put Clamps Down on Wolves Offense - Iowa Wolves
- Big Fourth Gives Clips First Win of the Decade - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Austin Spurs Top Northern Arizona Suns 109-102 - Austin Spurs
- Suns Drop Battle of the 2020 Undefeateds - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.