Austin Falls Short to South Bay
March 16, 2023 - NBA G League (G League) - Austin Spurs News Release
AUSTIN - The Austin Spurs (8-21) fell short to the South Bay Lakers (20-9), 121-123, at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park on Thursday night.
Chaundee Brown Jr. led the Spurs with 26 points and 7 rebounds. Julian Champagnie notched a double-double with 22 points and 12 rebounds. Olin Carter III chipped in 18 points, 9 assists and 5 rebounds.
The Lakers took the lead by 10, 32-22, in the first frame. The Spurs fought back in the second quarter with Carter III knocking down back-to-back threes with a free throw to go on a 13-9 run to end the first half, cutting the deficit down 11 points (54-65). Austin took control of the third frame and outscored the Lakers 32-26 as they went 50% from the charity stripe while South Bay shot 52.2% from the field, making it a five-point game with the Lakers in the lead, 91-86. The Spurs opened the fourth quarter with a 10-6 run with 9:06 remaining to cut the deficit to two, 96-98. Both teams traded buckets as the Spurs recorded an 8-0 run with 0:32 seconds remaining, down by just one, 117-118. Though Austin won the quarter (35-32) it wasn't enough as Cole Swinder's free throws with 0:05 seconds left helped seal the win for South Bay.
Swinder led South Bay with 23 points. Devin Cannady and LJ Figueroa both notched 18 points. Scotty Pippen Jr. chipped in 16 points and 8 rebounds in the Lakers win.
The Spurs are set to host their sixth annual game at the AT&T Center versus the Greensboro Swarm on Saturday, March 18, at the AT&T Center at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 16, 2023
- Ignite Falls to Skyforce, 132-114 - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Austin Falls Short to South Bay - Austin Spurs
- Greensboro Swarm Grab the Win - Greensboro Swarm
- Vipers to Host 2023 All-Valley Showcase - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Legends Hit Moore in OT for Win - Texas Legends
- 905 Fall to the Magic - Raptors 905
- Magic Defeat Raptors on the Road - Osceola Magic
- Austin Spurs Acquire Galen Robinson Jr. - Austin Spurs
- Stars Move March 21 Game to Vivint Arena - Salt Lake City Stars
- South Bay Dominates Over Austin - Austin Spurs
- Stars Fall in Final Seconds to Warriors - Salt Lake City Stars
- Ignite Falls Short in Hard-Fought Battle Against Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Salt Lake City Stars - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.