Atlanta United Draws 0-0 against Orlando City SC
ATLANTA - Atlanta United played to a scoreless draw against Orlando City SC Wednesday night at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Brad Guzan made a season-high six saves and posted his fifth clean sheet of the season. It was the team's second consecutive shutout and third in its last four matches.
Guzan was called into action in the 11th minute and made an impressive double-save. Kyle Smith sent a cross in from the right side where Daryl Dike directed a diving header right at Guzan, who parried it into the air. The ball fell to Robinho who struck a low shot aimed at the bottom left corner. Guzan quickly dropped to his right to block the shot before he kicked the ball out for a corner to prevent further danger.
Atlanta's best chance of the first half came in the 18th minute. Jon Gallagher delivered a corner kick to center of box where Miles Robinson put a strong header on goal, but it was hit right at Brian Rowe who pushed it away.
Atlanta thought it had a chance for a penalty kick just before halftime. Brooks Lennon played Adam Jahn into the box where he appeared to be brought down by Rowe who came off his line, but instead it was ruled a corner kick and both teams went into the half scoreless.
Both sides pushed for the breakthrough goal and Atlanta nearly found it in the 71st minute. Lennon sent a corner kick to the back-post, but it was headed out across the box and trickled back to Lennon. He lofted another cross to the far side where an Orlando defender attempted to clear it, but the ball fell to Anton Walkes in the center of the penalty area. The center back one-timed a shot on goal, but Rowe made a kick save which was cleared away.
Guzan made a pair of huge saves in the final minutes of the match. In the 86th minute, Nani led a counterattack down the left side and dribbled into the box. He squared a ball for Junior Urso who one-timed a shot near the penalty spot, but Guzan palmed the ball away for a corner. Joey DeZart nearly picked out the top-left corner with a curling shot in the first minute of stoppage time, but Guzan made a leaping catch to preserve the draw.
Atlanta United (5-8-3, 18 points) returns to action Saturday, Oct. 10 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium against New York Red Bulls (6:00 p.m., FOX Sports South, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game, La Mejor).
Atlanta United 0, Orlando City SC 0
Shots: 15-9 Orlando
Shots on Target: 6-3 Orlando
Corner kicks: 7-5 Orlando
Fouls committed: 12-9 Atlanta
Clearances: 17-15 Atlanta
Offside: 2-0 Atlanta
Possession: 52-48 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 87-85 Orlando
ATL - Franco Escobar 36' (yellow card)
ATL - Mo Adams 50' (yellow card)
ORL - Kamal Miller 77' (yellow card)
ORL - Rodrigo Schlegel 81' (yellow card)
ATL - Miles Robinson 90' (yellow card)
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; Franco Escobar, Anton Walkes, George Bello, Miles Robinson; Jeff Larentowicz ©, Emerson Hyndman, Mo Adams (Tyler Wolff - 89'); Brooks Lennon, Adam Jahn, Jon Gallagher (Jürgen Damm - 66').
Substitutes not used: Fernando Meza, Eric Remedi, Manuel Castro, Alec Kann, George Campbell, Laurence Wyke, Jake Mulraney.
ORLANDO CITY STARTING LINEUP
Brian Rowe ©; Robin Jansson, Rodrigo Schlegel, Kamal Miller, Kyle Smith (Alex De John - 58'); Andrés Perea, Joey Dezart, Robinho (Chris Mueller - 58'), JÃºnior Urso (Antonio Carlos - 87'); Benji Michel (Nani - 70'), Daryl Dike.
Substitutes not used: David Loera, Michael Halliday, Mason Stajduhar, Jordan Bender.
Rubiel Vazquez, (referee), Nick Uranga, (assistant), Benjamin Hall-Volpenhein, (assistant), Ted Unkel, (fourth), Sorin Stoica (VAR).
Brad Guzan made a season-high six saves and posted his fifth clean sheet of the year.
Jeff Larentowicz made his 433nd MLS Regular Season appearance, second all-time by a field player in MLS history behind Kyle Beckerman (494).
Larentowicz also started his 394th MLS Regular Season match, third all-time by a field player behind Kyle Beckerman (460) and Chad Marshall (404).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 7, 2020
- 10-Man Dynamo Stand Strong in 2-0 Win over FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United Lose 4-1 to New York City FC on the Road - D.C. United
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 4 - 1 D.C. United - New York City FC
- Union Wallop FC Cincinnati 3-0 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Falls to Houston Dynamo 2-0 - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC (1) - New England Revolution (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Impact Shock Crew - Montreal Impact
- Inter Miami CF Defeats New York Red Bulls 1-2 on the Road - Inter Miami CF
- Post-Game Notes: Red Bulls Fall Short to Inter Miami, 2-1 at RBA - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Fall to Toronto FC, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Atlanta United Draws 0-0 against Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City Earns Scoreless Draw at Atlanta United, Extends Unbeaten Run - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Travel to Face LA Galaxy Tonight at Dignity Health Sports Park - Portland Timbers
- Tonight's Match against LAFC Has Been Postponed - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC Regular Season Match at Colorado Rapids Postponed - Los Angeles FC
- Tonight's Colorado Rapids vs. Los Angeles Football Club Match Postponed - MLS
- Earthquakes Host Vancouver Whitecaps FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Real Salt Lake - October 7, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Philadelphia Union Reopens Subaru Park to Fans in Limited Capacity - Philadelphia Union
- Nashville Soccer Club & Ingram Charities to Build Second Community "Mini-Pitch" in Southeast Nashville - Nashville SC
- Earthquakes Sign Jackson Yueill to New Multi-Year Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Midfielder Simon Colyn Joins Italian Club SPAL on Loan - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- #HOUvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Impact to Take on Toronto FC in a Virtual Special Olympics Competition - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Travels to Seattle to Face Sounders FC on Wednesday - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville Soccer Club's Home Unbeaten Streak Extended to Six as Fans Return to Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves
- Atlanta United Announces Provisional Roster for Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery
- MLS Unveils 2020 Best-Selling Jerseys; Josef Martinez Only Player to Rank Top-Three in Each of the Past Four Seasons
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC