Atlanta United Defeats Houston Dynamo 5-0
ATLANTA - Atlanta United defeated the Houston Dynamo 5-0 Wednesday night in front of 42,557 fans at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Josef Martinez scored twice while Darlington Nagbe, Brandon Vazquez and Julian Gressel each scored to extend Atlanta's home unbeaten streak to eight matches. It was the sixth consecutive game Martinez scored, tying the sixth-longest streak in MLS history. With the win, Atlanta moved into second place in the Eastern Conference.
Atlanta found itself with a one-man advantage in the sixth minute when Houston's Alberth Elis was sent off for making contact with referee Chris Penso. Darlington Nagbe then opened the scoring in the 27th minute with his first goal with the team. Nagbe started the play by passing to Emerson Hyndman at the top of the box where the midfielder quickly found Julian Gressel down the right side. The German sent a low cross to the center of box where Nagbe one-timed a shot into top left corner.
Vazquez doubled the lead in the 29th minute. Hyndman slipped a pass between two defenders to find Dion Pereira in the box. Pereira dribbled towards the end line where he sent a cross aimed for the center of the box, but it took a deflection and floated to an unmarked Vazquez where he headed the ball into an empty net.
MartÃ-nez scored his 14th goal of the season in the 60th minute when he headed in a cross from Gressel at the edge of the six-yard box while crashing into an onrushing Tyler Deric. Martinez added a fourth goal in the 79th minute. Eric Remedi played the Venezuelan into the box with defender Matias Vera on his back. Martinez cut the ball back on to his left foot as Vera collided with Deric and took one touch before firing a shot into the top left corner. It marked Martinez's 17th career multi-goal match.
Gressel scored Atlanta's final goal in the 88th minute. Martinez sent in a cross from the left side intended for Pity Martinez, but the ball took a deflection and skipped through the box for Gressel at the back post where the German buried a shot past Deric.
Atlanta United (10-8-3, 33 points) returns to action Sunday, July 21 against D.C. United at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (4:00 p.m. EST, ESPN, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Atlanta United 5, Houston Dynamo 0
Shots: 23-5 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 8-1 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 4-3 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 13-7 Atlanta
Clearances: 20-6 Houston
Offside: 2-1 Atlanta
Possession: 70-30 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 91-72 Atlanta
ATL - Darlington Nagbe (Julian Gressel, Emerson Hyndman) 27' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Brandon Vazquez 29' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Josef Martinez (Julian Gressel) 60' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Josef Martinez (Eric Remedi) 79' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Julian Gressel 88' [HIGHLIGHT]
HOU - Alberth Elis 6' (yellow)
HOU - Alberth Elis 6' (red)
HOU - MatÃ-as Vera 45+2' (yellow)
HOU - Romell Quioto 80' (yellow)
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; Leandro González Pirez, Michael Parkhurst ©, Miles Robinson, Julian Gressel; Emerson Hyndman (Eric Remedi - 64'), Darlington Nagbe (Mo Adams - 77'), Jeff Larentowicz; Josef Martinez, Brandon Vazquez (Gonzalo MartÃ-nez - 74'), Dion Pereira.
Substitutes not used: Brendan Moore, Justin Meram.
HOUSTON DYNAMO STARTING LINEUP
Tyler Deric; Maynor Figueroa, DaMarcus Beasley ©, Aljaz Struna, Kevin Garcia; MatÃ-as Vera, Darwin Cerén; Tommy McNamara (Romell Quioto - 45'), Marlon Hairston (Mauro Manotas - 62'), Tomás MartÃ-nez (Juan Cabezas - 45'); Alberth Elis.
Substitutes not used: AJ DeLaGarza, Alejandro Fuenmayor, Boniek GarcÃ-a, Joe Willis.
Chris Penso (referee), Brian Dunn (assistant), Jeremy Kieso (assistant), Sergii Demianchuk (fourth), Jon Freemon (VAR), Thomas Supple (assistant VAR)
Darlington Nagbe scored his first goal with Atlanta United
Brandon Vázquez scored his third career goal and first at Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Josef Martinez scored his 14th and 15th goals of the season for his 17th career multi-goal game in his 72nd MLS regular season appearance. The all-time record is held by Landon Donovan with 32 multi-goal games in 340 career appearances.
Martinez scored in his sixth consecutive game, which is tied for the sixth-longest streak in MLS history. Martinez owns the record along with Portland's Diego Valeri with nine consecutive matches with a goal.
Martinez now has 10 goals in his last six MLS games, 11 goals in his last seven games across all competitions.
Martinez has also now scored against every MLS team.
Julian Gressel scored his fourth goal and added his fourth and fifth assists of the season
Emerson Hyndman recorded his first MLS assist
Eric Remedi recorded his first assist of the season
Mo Adams made his Atlanta United debut as a second half substitute
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 17, 2019
- Gustavo Bou Scores in Debut as Revolution Top Vancouver Whitecaps FC, 4-0 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Drop Mid-Week Road Match at Toronto, 3-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Defeats Houston Dynamo 5-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Whitecaps FC return home on Saturday after midweek defeat at New England - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- 10-Man Dynamo Fall at Atlanta - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Advise Fans to Arrive Early for July 19 Match vs. LAFC - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Foundation and EPYSA, in Partnership with City of Philadelphia, Announce Inter-City Mini-Pitch Initiative - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Take Best Start in League History into El Trafico on ESPN Friday: Week 20 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Borussia Dortmund - July 17, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Mo Adams from Chicago Fire - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire Acquires $100,000 in General Allocation Money from Atlanta United - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Sign Academy Product Cole Turner to Pre-Contract - Philadelphia Union
- MLS and adidas Partner with German Football Association for Advanced Goalkeeper Education Course - MLS
- Three Points: Dynamo Begin Two-Game Road Trip in Atlanta - Houston Dynamo
- Earthquakes Host Real Valladolid C.F. in International Friendly - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.