Philadelphia Union Sign Academy Product Cole Turner to Pre-Contract
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has signed Academy Product Cole Turner to a pre-contract, which will take effect on January 1, 2020. At that time, Turner would become the 11th Homegrown Player in Union history.
Additionally, the 18-year-old midfielder has also signed a USL Championship contract with Bethlehem Steel FC for the remainder of 2019, effective immediately and pending league and federation approval. Turner becomes one of six current Academy Products signed to the Steel FC roster, while the Union first team also has six Homegrown Players, totaling 12 players from the Union Academy currently signed to professional contracts within the organization.
"We are very happy to have completed the signing of Cole Turner," said Union Sporting Director Ernst Tanner. "He has a strong knowledge of the game and a sharp awareness - the type of player who always seems to be in the right position in central midfield. He is an exciting young prospect and we are looking forward to helping him grow as a professional."
Turner, Tanner and Union Head Coach Jim Curtin will be available to members of the media following today's Union training session at the Power Training Complex (2501 Seaport Drive, Chester PA 19013). Turner and Tanner will be available fieldside following Union training (members of the media are encouraged to arrive by 11:00 a.m. ET), while Curtin holds his weekly press conference at 12:00 p.m. ET at Talen Energy Stadium's media room (please note this week's earlier press conference time).
Turner spent three years in the Philadelphia Union Academy's Residency Program and played with the Academy's U13/14, U16/17 and U18/19 squads. Over the course of his time with the Academy, he made 65 appearances (52 starts), scoring eight goals. Turner joined Steel FC at the club's preseason training camp in Clearwater, Florida prior to this season.
Turner has also gained experience with Steel FC while playing for the club as an Academy player. He has started in eight of the Steel's matches so far this season, making a total of 11 appearances, while providing one assist. Turner recorded his first assist for Steel FC in the club's 3-0 win over Hartford Athletic on June 28. Internationally, the midfielder has also received a call-up from the United States Under-14 Boys' National Team.
TRANSACTION: Bethlehem Steel FC signs midfielder Cole Turner on July 17, 2019; Turner also signs a pre-contract with Philadelphia Union, effective January 1, 2020
Name: Cole Turner
Hometown: Churchville, MD
Born: July 7, 2001 in Churchville, MD
Citizenship: United States
Acquired: Bethlehem Steel FC signs midfielder Cole Turner on July 17, 2019; Turner also signs a pre-contract with Philadelphia Union, effective January 1, 2020
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 17, 2019
- Gustavo Bou Scores in Debut as Revolution Top Vancouver Whitecaps FC, 4-0 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Drop Mid-Week Road Match at Toronto, 3-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Defeats Houston Dynamo 5-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Whitecaps FC return home on Saturday after midweek defeat at New England - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- 10-Man Dynamo Fall at Atlanta - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Advise Fans to Arrive Early for July 19 Match vs. LAFC - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Foundation and EPYSA, in Partnership with City of Philadelphia, Announce Inter-City Mini-Pitch Initiative - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Take Best Start in League History into El Trafico on ESPN Friday: Week 20 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Borussia Dortmund - July 17, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Mo Adams from Chicago Fire - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire Acquires $100,000 in General Allocation Money from Atlanta United - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Sign Academy Product Cole Turner to Pre-Contract - Philadelphia Union
- MLS and adidas Partner with German Football Association for Advanced Goalkeeper Education Course - MLS
- Three Points: Dynamo Begin Two-Game Road Trip in Atlanta - Houston Dynamo
- Earthquakes Host Real Valladolid C.F. in International Friendly - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Union suffer defeat to Fire on road
- Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference after a 2-1 victory against Houston
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Alejandro Bedoya Named MLS Player of the Week
- Philadelphia Union Announce Stadium Suite Contest
- Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference after a 5-1 victory on the road in D.C.