Three Points: Dynamo Begin Two-Game Road Trip in Atlanta
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo return to the road this week as they kick off a two-game road trip on Wednesday evening against Atlanta United FC, the defending MLS Champion. This is Houston's first trip to Mercedes-Benz Stadium and only the third meeting between both clubs.
Houston will look to bounce back from their first loss at BBVA Stadium last Friday after they fell 3-1 to LAFC. Forward Romell Quioto tallied Houston's lone goal of the game and the Honduran international has now scored in back-to-back games. Quioto will be key in setting the tone for Houston who enter with a 6-2-1 record when scoring the first goal of the game.
The Dynamo face a quick turnaround as they travel to Toronto on Saturday for the second leg of a two-game road trip. Both matches will be broadcast live on KUBE 57 and TelExitos 47.2.
Houston Dynamo vs. Atlanta United FC
Wednesday, July 17 - 6:00 p.m. CDT
KUBE 57 - Glenn Davis and Bobby Boswell
TelExitos 47.2 - Alex Parra and Enrique Vazquez
Univision Radio 1010 AM - Daniel Mejia & Lester Gretsch
Here are three key points ahead of tonight's game:
OVERCOMING ROAD WOES - Houston have faced challenges away from BBVA Stadium and enter the match with a seven-game losing streak. The Dynamo fell just short of snapping the streak against FC Cincinnati on July 6, but their second half comeback came to an end after Spencer Richey and the Cincinnati backline held firm in stoppage time. Houston has earned a result in two matches away from Space City this season - both at the beginning of the year as Houston defeated CD Guastatoya 1-0 with a late second-half strike from DaMarcus Beasley. The Dynamo earned three points on March 30 against the Colorado Rapids after Alberth Elis torched the backline throughout the pitch at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
DEFENDING CHAMPIONS DOMINANT AT HOME- The defending MLS champions have won once in their last four games and look to return to the win column after they fell 2-1 to Seattle Sounders FC in the Emerald City last Sunday. Josef Martinez, the reigning league MVP, scored his 13th goal of the season in the loss and is tied with Zlatan Ibrahimovic for the second most goals scored in the league this season. Atlanta will look to Martinez to lead the charge at Mercedes-Benz Stadium where the Five Stripes have scored 17 of the team's 28 goals this season. Since Atlanta moved from Bobby Dodd Stadium in late 2017, the club has scored 93 goals at home - 18 more goals than the next team in the same time period.
FIREPOWER ON DISPLAY- Houston and Atlanta have split the first two meetings prior to Wednesday's showdown and have combined for nine goals in the series. The Dynamo defeated the Five Stripes 4-0 to open the 2018 regular season at BBVA Stadium with goals from Mauro Manotas and Darwin Ceren. Atlanta won the first meeting in 2017 after a hat trick from Miguel Almiron gave the Five Stripes a 4-1 victory at Bobby Dodd Stadium. With top-tier firepower on display for both squads, Wednesday's match promises to be another entertaining contest in a series that features two teams jockeying for a playoff spot.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 17, 2019
- Gustavo Bou Scores in Debut as Revolution Top Vancouver Whitecaps FC, 4-0 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Drop Mid-Week Road Match at Toronto, 3-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Defeats Houston Dynamo 5-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Whitecaps FC return home on Saturday after midweek defeat at New England - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- 10-Man Dynamo Fall at Atlanta - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Advise Fans to Arrive Early for July 19 Match vs. LAFC - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Foundation and EPYSA, in Partnership with City of Philadelphia, Announce Inter-City Mini-Pitch Initiative - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Take Best Start in League History into El Trafico on ESPN Friday: Week 20 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Borussia Dortmund - July 17, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Mo Adams from Chicago Fire - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire Acquires $100,000 in General Allocation Money from Atlanta United - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Sign Academy Product Cole Turner to Pre-Contract - Philadelphia Union
- MLS and adidas Partner with German Football Association for Advanced Goalkeeper Education Course - MLS
- Three Points: Dynamo Begin Two-Game Road Trip in Atlanta - Houston Dynamo
- Earthquakes Host Real Valladolid C.F. in International Friendly - San Jose Earthquakes