Atlanta United 2 Announces Stephen Glass as Head Coach
ATLANTA - Atlanta United 2 today announced it has appointed Stephen Glass from Atlanta United's Academy to head coach of the USL Championship team. Glass assumes the position following the departure of Scott Donnelly, who left the club to pursue a new opportunity at the beginning of the year.
"Coming from our Academy, Stephen understands the club's philosophy and is a natural fit for Atlanta United 2," said Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra. "He is someone who embodies the club's core values and recognizes what it takes to be an Atlanta United player."
Glass joined the club in August 2018 as a head coach for the Academy's U-17 team, which he led to a 6-2-4 record and is currently 4th in the Southeast Division.
He holds UEFA Pro, UEFA A and UEFA B coaching licenses and came to Atlanta after serving as Coaching Director of the Carolina Rapids, a youth club affiliated with MLS's Colorado Rapids. Prior to his time with the Rapids, Glass was also the Coaching Director for Triangle Football Club in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Prior to coaching, Glass enjoyed an outstanding professional playing career in the English Premier League with Newcastle United (1998-2001), scoring seven times in 42 appearances. He spent two seasons in the English Championship with Watford before moving to his native Scotland and appeared in 86 matches for Hibernian in the Scottish Premier League.
He concluded his playing career with a stint in NASL as a member of the Carolina Railhawks in 2011. Overall, Glass made 380 professional league appearances, while also representing Scotland internationally.
ATL UTD 2's preseason begins this Friday, Feb. 1. The team will play four preseason matches against Clemson University, Tormenta FC, Chattanooga FC and Charlotte Independence.
ATL UTD 2 kicks off its second season in its new home of Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Kennesaw, Georgia on March 9 against USL Championship expansion team Hartford Athletic at 7:30 p.m. EST.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 30, 2019
- Tacoma Defiance Debuts New Brand Identity and Jersey Front Partnership with MultiCare - Tacoma Defiance
- Memphis 901 FC Poised to Begin Inaugural Preseason Training - Memphis 901 FC
- Republic FC Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - Sacramento Republic FC
- T2 Announce Four Player Signings Ahead of 2019 USL Season - Portland Timbers 2
- Atlanta United 2 Announces Stephen Glass as Head Coach - Atlanta United 2
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Ethan Bryant Called up to United States U-18 Men's National Team - San Antonio FC
- Austin Bold FC Signs Forward Clayton Adams - Austin Bold FC
- Taylor and Morad Return for 2019 Season - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- LA Galaxy II Sign Goalkeeper Abraham Romero - LA Galaxy II
- Fury FC Adds Playmaker Wal Fall to 2019 Roster - Ottawa Fury FC
- Lights FC Unveils Community Fields - Las Vegas Lights FC
- MLS Veteran Marc Burch Named First Memphis 901 FC Captain; Team Announces Preseason Match Schedule - Memphis 901 FC
- Hartford Athletic Adds Five Players; Group Experiences Now Available - Hartford Athletic
- Rowdies and Norwich City FC Launch Historic Partnership - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Loudoun United FC Announce Open Tryouts for February 9 & 10 - Loudoun United
- Houston Dynamo Defeat RGV FC 2-1 in Preseason Scrimmage - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.