LA Galaxy II Sign Goalkeeper Abraham Romero
LOS ANGELES - LA Galaxy II have signed former LA Galaxy Academy standout and Mexican Youth International goalkeeper Abraham Romero to a USL contract, pending league and federation approval, the club announced today. Romero, 20, returns to Los Angeles after three years with Pachuca of Liga MX.
"We are very excited to welcome an LA Galaxy Academy product back his hometown club after spending time with a Liga MX team," said LA Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese. "It is important that we continue to prioritize our youth development, and Abraham choosing to return and continue his professional career with our club is a result of our commitment. He's one of the best young goalkeepers that our Academy has produced and that has shown with his success in the Mexican Youth National Team and with Pachuca. We are very enthusiastic about his future within our organization and we will look to provide him the best possible opportunity to grow as a professional."
Born in Pasadena, Calif., Romero joined the LA Galaxy Academy in 2012, quickly earning attention from the United States and Mexican soccer federations. Romero earned his first international call-up from the U.S. U-15s in 2012, later featuring with the U.S. U-17s before switching to Mexican Youth National Team in 2014. In 2015, he featured for Mexico at the U-17 World Cup in Chile, helping his new side to a fourth place finish in the tournament.
After signing with Pachuca in 2016, Romero was called-up to the Mexico U-20s. In 2017, he was the team's starting goalkeeper for the U-20 World Cup in South Korea. Romero and Mexico fell in the quarterfinals of the tournament to eventual champions England.
While with Pachuca, Romero was a regular starter for the club's U-20 side.
With the addition of Romero, the LA Galaxy now have 10 players professionally rostered that were developed by either the LA Galaxy Academy or LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero, Eric Lopez, Adrian Vera, Ethan Zubak, Efrain Alvarez, Hugo Arellano, Bradford Jamieson IV, Dave Romney, Daniel Steres and Justin Vom Steeg.
Romero and LA Galaxy II will kick off the 2019 USL Championship Regular Season on Saturday, March 9 against Colorado Springs Switchbacks at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium.
Transaction: LA Galaxy II sign goalkeeper Abraham Romero
Name: Abraham Romero
Weight: 185 lbs.
Born: Feb. 18, 1998
Last Club: Pachuca
Birthplace: Pasadena, California
Hometown: Altadena, California
Nationality: United States / Mexico
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2019 Major League Soccer season are now available. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2019 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to secure Season Ticket Memberships.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 30, 2019
- Tacoma Defiance Debuts New Brand Identity and Jersey Front Partnership with MultiCare - Tacoma Defiance
- Memphis 901 FC Poised to Begin Inaugural Preseason Training - Memphis 901 FC
- Republic FC Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - Sacramento Republic FC
- T2 Announce Four Player Signings Ahead of 2019 USL Season - Portland Timbers 2
- Atlanta United 2 Announces Stephen Glass as Head Coach - Atlanta United 2
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Ethan Bryant Called up to United States U-18 Men's National Team - San Antonio FC
- Austin Bold FC Signs Forward Clayton Adams - Austin Bold FC
- Taylor and Morad Return for 2019 Season - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- LA Galaxy II Sign Goalkeeper Abraham Romero - LA Galaxy II
- Fury FC Adds Playmaker Wal Fall to 2019 Roster - Ottawa Fury FC
- Lights FC Unveils Community Fields - Las Vegas Lights FC
- MLS Veteran Marc Burch Named First Memphis 901 FC Captain; Team Announces Preseason Match Schedule - Memphis 901 FC
- Hartford Athletic Adds Five Players; Group Experiences Now Available - Hartford Athletic
- Rowdies and Norwich City FC Launch Historic Partnership - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Loudoun United FC Announce Open Tryouts for February 9 & 10 - Loudoun United
- Houston Dynamo Defeat RGV FC 2-1 in Preseason Scrimmage - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.