Taylor and Morad Return for 2019 Season
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - The Tampa Bay Rowdies have re-signed defender Tarek Morad and forward Leon Taylor to new contracts for the 2019 USL Championship season.
Morad signed with the Rowdies late last season and immediately became a key contributor for the Rowdies playoff push. He made his Rowdies debut August 8 in a scoreless draw against the Charleston Battery and played every minute of every match for the rest of the season, totaling 1,170 minutes in 13 starts.
"Tarek doesn't need much of an introduction after the impact he had here last year as a late-season signing," Rowdies Head Coach Neill Collins said. "I didn't think we would have the opportunity to bring Tarek back because of his ambitions to go play overseas, but we're delighted to have him. I believe we can help him achieve his personal goals by giving him a platform to succeed with the Rowdies. He will be very important from a leadership standpoint on and off the field with his experience of having won the USL Cup before."
Morad, 26, sat out the first half of the 2018 season after leaving Louisville City FC following the 2017 USL Cup Final. He came to Tampa Bay with nearly 100 matches and 8,000 minutes of USL experience from three years with Louisville and one with OKC Energy FC.
Taylor, 25, joined the Rowdies last April after a lengthy training stint with the club. He had to wait until June 9 to make his Rowdies debut but marked it with a goal 20 minutes after entering the match as a substitute. He made his first start a week later and scored again, ultimately scoring in each of his first three matches.
In all, he scored four games in 12 appearances in 2018.
"We're delighted to have Leon back in the squad," Rowdies Head Coach Neill Collins said. "He made a lot of fans last year for the same reasons we wanted him back in the squad. He works hard, he fights for every opportunity and he makes the most of his chances. He's a young, hungry player that will continue to grow this season."
Before joining the Rowdies, Taylor played in Sweden with Bodens FK.
With Morad and Taylor, there are now seven returning players from the Rowdies 2018 roster.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 30, 2019
- Tacoma Defiance Debuts New Brand Identity and Jersey Front Partnership with MultiCare - Tacoma Defiance
- Memphis 901 FC Poised to Begin Inaugural Preseason Training - Memphis 901 FC
- Republic FC Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - Sacramento Republic FC
- T2 Announce Four Player Signings Ahead of 2019 USL Season - Portland Timbers 2
- Atlanta United 2 Announces Stephen Glass as Head Coach - Atlanta United 2
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Ethan Bryant Called up to United States U-18 Men's National Team - San Antonio FC
- Austin Bold FC Signs Forward Clayton Adams - Austin Bold FC
- Taylor and Morad Return for 2019 Season - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- LA Galaxy II Sign Goalkeeper Abraham Romero - LA Galaxy II
- Fury FC Adds Playmaker Wal Fall to 2019 Roster - Ottawa Fury FC
- Lights FC Unveils Community Fields - Las Vegas Lights FC
- MLS Veteran Marc Burch Named First Memphis 901 FC Captain; Team Announces Preseason Match Schedule - Memphis 901 FC
- Hartford Athletic Adds Five Players; Group Experiences Now Available - Hartford Athletic
- Rowdies and Norwich City FC Launch Historic Partnership - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Loudoun United FC Announce Open Tryouts for February 9 & 10 - Loudoun United
- Houston Dynamo Defeat RGV FC 2-1 in Preseason Scrimmage - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.