San Antonio FC Midfielder Ethan Bryant Called up to United States U-18 Men's National Team
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC midfielder Ethan Bryant has been called up to the United States U-18 Men's National Team, U.S. Soccer announced today. The San Antonio native will participate in the U-18 training camp directed by U.S. U-20 coach Tab Ramos at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, Calif. from Feb. 1-7.
All 20 players who were called up today are age-eligible for the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup. The training camp presents a prime opportunity for the U-18 players to impress Ramos as he prepares a roster for this summer's tournament in Poland. Bryant represents the first SAFC player in club history to earn a U-18 Men's National Team call-up while with the team.
"We are really pleased Ethan has the opportunity to represent the United States at the upcoming U-18 training camp," said SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell. "Ethan progressed well last season with the first team and he is hungry for this opportunity. As a club, we take great pride in our players representing their country as it is one of the highest honors you can achieve in the game."
Bryant made his professional debut in 2018, becoming the youngest player to ever appear for SAFC in its history. The San Antonio native appeared in 10 USL Championship matches while compiling 815 total minutes and recording three assists on the season, which were tied for the third most on the roster. On Sept. 29, 2018, Bryant became the youngest goalscorer in San Antonio FC history - 17 years, one month, nine days -- recording his first professional goal against the Seattle Sounders FC 2. The midfielder also appeared in one Open Cup match, playing in 120 minutes as SAFC advanced past the Colorado Springs Switchbacks in the third round.
"This is a special moment for me and I'm excited to compete at the international level," said Bryant. "I will represent San Antonio as a city and club to the best of my abilities, and I'm excited and eager for the opportunity."
Bryant was originally discovered by SAFC after participating in the club's Elite Training Program. After having the chance to train under the observation of the SAFC technical staff, Bryant was first invited to train with the first-team throughout the 2017 USL season. The SAFC Elite Training Program falls under the SAFC Pro Academy umbrella and is designed to be another collaborative effort between San Antonio FC and all San Antonio greater area youth soccer clubs. The ETP provides additional technical programming for boys and serves as an identification and development program for future SAFC Pro Academy players at multiple age groups.
Prior to being added to the San Antonio roster in 2018, Bryant played his club soccer with Classic Elite Soccer Club in San Antonio while also participating in the 2015 U.S. Soccer Futures Camp.
U-18 MNT Roster by Position (Club; Hometown)
GOALKEEPERS (2): David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif.), Patrick Schulte (Saint Louis FC; Saint Charles, Mo.)
DEFENDERS (6): Julian Hinojosa Jr. (FC Dallas; Garland, Texas), Kai Lammers (New York City FC; Greenwich, Conn.), Erwin Martinez (Real Salt Lake; Gilbert, Ariz.), David Mendoza (Chicago Fire; Chicago, Ill.), Christian Ortiz (Barca Academy AZ; Yuma, Ariz.), Leonardo Sepulveda (LA Galaxy; Corona, Calif.)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Cole Bassett (Colorado Rapids; Littleton, Colo.), Ethan Bryant (San Antonio FC; San Antonio, Texas), Oscar Cervantes Jr. (LA Galaxy; Indio, Calif.), Emmanuel Haro (Club Tijuana/MEX; San Diego, Calif.), Armando Munoz-Zarate (Colorado Rapids; Albuquerque, N.M.), Matteo Ritaccio (Liverpool FC/ENG; Westbury, N.Y.)
FORWARDS (6): Alec Diaz (Seattle Sounders FC II; Issaquah, Wash.), Bryce Duke (Real Salt Lake; Phoenix, Ariz.), Hunter George (Sacramento Republic FC; Lincoln, Calif.), Cameron Harper (Celtic FC/SCO; Roseville, Calif.) Nicholas Hategan (Sacramento Republic FC; Chicago, Ill.), Marlon Vargas (Seattle Sounders II; Renton, Wash.)
San Antonio FC is currently preparing for the upcoming USL Championship season, and fans can purchase 2019 season tickets by calling the SAFC sales office at 210-444-5657 or by visiting SanAntonioFC.com. Supporters can also follow the club by liking San Antonio FC on Facebook, as well as following the team on Twitter (@SanAntonioFC), Instagram (@sanantoniofc) and Snapchat (SanAntonioFC).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 30, 2019
- Tacoma Defiance Debuts New Brand Identity and Jersey Front Partnership with MultiCare - Tacoma Defiance
- Memphis 901 FC Poised to Begin Inaugural Preseason Training - Memphis 901 FC
- Republic FC Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - Sacramento Republic FC
- T2 Announce Four Player Signings Ahead of 2019 USL Season - Portland Timbers 2
- Atlanta United 2 Announces Stephen Glass as Head Coach - Atlanta United 2
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Ethan Bryant Called up to United States U-18 Men's National Team - San Antonio FC
- Austin Bold FC Signs Forward Clayton Adams - Austin Bold FC
- Taylor and Morad Return for 2019 Season - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- LA Galaxy II Sign Goalkeeper Abraham Romero - LA Galaxy II
- Fury FC Adds Playmaker Wal Fall to 2019 Roster - Ottawa Fury FC
- Lights FC Unveils Community Fields - Las Vegas Lights FC
- MLS Veteran Marc Burch Named First Memphis 901 FC Captain; Team Announces Preseason Match Schedule - Memphis 901 FC
- Hartford Athletic Adds Five Players; Group Experiences Now Available - Hartford Athletic
- Rowdies and Norwich City FC Launch Historic Partnership - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Loudoun United FC Announce Open Tryouts for February 9 & 10 - Loudoun United FC
- Houston Dynamo Defeat RGV FC 2-1 in Preseason Scrimmage - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.