T2 Announce Four Player Signings Ahead of 2019 USL Season
PORTLAND, Ore. - T2 have signed midfielders Carlos Anguiano and Todd Wharton, defender Niko De Vera and goalkeeper Jake Leeker for the 2019 USL Championship season, it was announced today.
The four signings join a returning group of players that includes defenders Harold Hanson and Max Ornstil, who have signed new contracts for the 2019 season, and defender Arturo Diz Pe, who had his contract option exercised following the 2018 campaign.
The club will announce additional roster moves heading into the start of the 2019 USL regular season.
Anguiano, 19, appeared in 13 matches (8 starts) the past two seasons for T2 (2017-18) as a member of the Portland Timbers Academy. The Salem, Ore., native made his debut for T2 as a 17-year-old in a 1-1 draw at Reno 1868 FC on July 22, 2017. Anguiano played in nine matches (5 starts) for T2 in 2018, logging 464 minutes played.
De Vera, 22, played the 2018 USL season with New York Red Bulls II, where he appeared in 27 matches (22 starts). The Camas, Wash., native was drafted by the New York Red Bulls in the second round (31st overall) of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft. De Vera, a Portland Timbers Academy product, played collegiate soccer at the University of Akron (2014-17), where he appeared in 60 matches (41 starts) and registered one goal and seven assists across four seasons. Additionally, De Vera played two seasons with the Portland Timbers U23 (2016-17), where he made 27 appearances in 1,670 minutes played.
Hanson, 19, played the previous two seasons (2017-18) for T2 after signing with the club as a 17-year-old. In 2018, the Ontario, Calif., native made 14 appearances (5 starts) and scored one goal, in helping T2 qualify for the first playoff appearance in club history. Hanson scored his first professional goal against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC on June 17, 2018. During the 2017 USL season, Hanson appeared in 23 games (21 starts) and tallied two assists. Additionally, Hanson made his MLS debut for the Portland Timbers, coming on as a substitute in a 2-1 win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC at BC Place on July 23, 2017.
Ornstil, 24, who enters his third season with T2, appeared in 27 matches (16 starts) with three goals scored across two seasons (2017-18) for Portland since joining the club from Portland Timbers U23 in the PDL in 2016. During the 2018 USL regular season, Ornstil made eight appearances in 357 minutes played.
Diz Pe, 24, tallied one goal and two assists in 15 appearances (14 starts) during the 2018 USL regular season. At the international level, Diz Pe has earned 13 caps for the Cuban National Team. The Havana, Cuba, native was part of the team that won the 2012 Caribbean Cup, defeating Trinidad and Tobago 1-0 in the Caribbean Cup Final.
Leeker, 23, played his first professional season with Real Monarchs SLC in 2018, logging six shutouts in 17 starts. A native of St. Louis, Mo., Leeker played collegiate soccer at the University of Memphis (2014-17), where he appeared in 47 matches and posted 10 clean sheets.
Wharton, 24, played the past three USL campaigns with Rio Grande Valley FC (2016-18), appearing in 63 games (53 starts) and tallying six goals and eight assists. In 2018, Wharton posted career-highs in goals (5) and assists (5). A native of Richmond, Va., Wharton played four years of collegiate soccer at the University of Virginia (2012-15), helping the Cavaliers win the 2014 NCAA National Championship.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 30, 2019
- Tacoma Defiance Debuts New Brand Identity and Jersey Front Partnership with MultiCare - Tacoma Defiance
- Memphis 901 FC Poised to Begin Inaugural Preseason Training - Memphis 901 FC
- Republic FC Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - Sacramento Republic FC
- T2 Announce Four Player Signings Ahead of 2019 USL Season - Portland Timbers 2
- Atlanta United 2 Announces Stephen Glass as Head Coach - Atlanta United 2
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Ethan Bryant Called up to United States U-18 Men's National Team - San Antonio FC
- Austin Bold FC Signs Forward Clayton Adams - Austin Bold FC
- Taylor and Morad Return for 2019 Season - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- LA Galaxy II Sign Goalkeeper Abraham Romero - LA Galaxy II
- Fury FC Adds Playmaker Wal Fall to 2019 Roster - Ottawa Fury FC
- Lights FC Unveils Community Fields - Las Vegas Lights FC
- MLS Veteran Marc Burch Named First Memphis 901 FC Captain; Team Announces Preseason Match Schedule - Memphis 901 FC
- Hartford Athletic Adds Five Players; Group Experiences Now Available - Hartford Athletic
- Rowdies and Norwich City FC Launch Historic Partnership - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Loudoun United FC Announce Open Tryouts for February 9 & 10 - Loudoun United
- Houston Dynamo Defeat RGV FC 2-1 in Preseason Scrimmage - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers 2 Stories
- T2 Fall 1-0 on the Road to Sacramento Republic FC Saturday Night
- T2 Fight Back to Earn 1-1 Draw against Tulsa Roughnecks FC at Providence Park
- T2 Fall 4-2 on the Road to Phoenix Rising FC
- T2 Fall 2-1 to Reno 1868 FC at Providence Park
- T2 Earn 2-0 Road Win against Orange County SC Saturday