Army and Zink Rejoin Nailers
WHEELING, WV- The Wheeling Nailers, proud ECHL affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins, have announced two transactions, which both take effect immediately. The Nailers have received forward Derek Army from the Tucson Roadrunners and defenseman Dylan Zink from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
Army, 26, was recalled by Tucson last week, but did not appear in a game with the team that acquired him in a trade with the Milwaukee Admirals on February 26th. Prior to his recall, Derek played in three games with the Nailers, helping the team acquire three points during the final three contests of their six-game road trip. The North Kingstown, Rhode Island native is averaging nearly one point per game during his time with Wheeling this season, compiling seven goals, 13 assists, and 20 points in 24 tilts. He has also suited up in 22 games at the AHL level this year, totaling one goal, four assists, and five points. This is Army's fourth full season as a pro and fifth overall. During that time, he has appeared in 252 games, amassing 70 goals, 86 assists, and 156 points. Derek is the Nailers captain for the second straight campaign.
Zink, 25, has played in seven games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season, notching one assist, while the majority of his time has been spent with the Nailers. Dylan made his debut with Wheeling on November 10th, and exactly one week later, netted his first professional goal, to go along with an assist, as the Nailers defeated the Norfolk Admirals on the road. The Madison, Wisconsin native enjoyed a run of four straight games with at least one point in late November and early December, before appearing on the scoresheet in 11 of 16 contests prior to his most recent recall. Zink made his professional debut at the end of last season, after completing his four-year college career at UMass-Lowell.
The Nailers made a few separate transactions as well, releasing defenseman Jerry Laakso, as well as forwards Daniel Tedesco and Marcus Basara.
The Nailers will play a pair of games on the road next weekend, as they visit Worcester on Friday at 7:05, then Adirondack on Saturday at 3:00. Wheeling will then return home for four straight games, starting with a WesBanco Winning Wednesday on March 21st against the Railers. The first 2,500 fans will receive can koozies at the March 23rd game. Saturday, March 24th is Charity Night, benefitting WVU Medicine Children's Hospital. The next big promotional game is Fan Appreciation Night on March 31st, featuring prizes throughout the night, a team trading card set giveaway, and a post game autograph session with the entire team. To purchase tickets, or to get more information about season tickets, flex plans, group tickets, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 14, 2018
- Schmidt Scores in Third to Force OT, Royals Fall, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Edge Mallards, Eliminate Flock from Playoff Contention - Quad City Mallards
- CenturyLink and Steelheads to Host Free Skate for Fans on March 25th - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 14 - ECHL
- Niagara Defenseman Keegan Harper Joins Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Agree to Terms with Davison, Pratt, Panowyk - South Carolina Stingrays
- Phinney Recalled by Manitoba - Indy Fuel
- Grizzlies Insider: Grizzlies Look to Start a New Streak - Utah Grizzlies
- Walleye Denis Gets the Call - Toledo Walleye
- Vay Returns to Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Adds Ferris State Product Maloney - Wichita Thunder
- Melancon Joins AHL's Syracuse Crunch on PTO - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals Weekly: Norfolk Begins Final Ten Games of Regular Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Geiger, Hughes Sent To SC, While Bindulis Gets Call To Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steelheads Fall in Atlanta to Open Road Trip - Idaho Steelheads
- Army and Zink Rejoin Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wheeling Nailers Stories
- Nailers vs. Americans Game Day Snap Shot, December 12
- Cam Brown & Nick Saracino Named Inglasco ECHL Players of the Week
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, December 10
- Saracino Scoops up Five Points in 5-1 Wheeling Win
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, December 9