Walleye Edge Mallards, Eliminate Flock from Playoff Contention
MOLINE, Ill. - Tyler Barnes- who also had an assist- scored what proved to be the third period game winner and Pat Nagle made 40 saves as the Toledo Walleye (43-15-5) edged
the host Quad City Mallards (20-38-4) 3-2 Wednesday night. The defeat eliminated the Mallards from playoff contention.
Barnes pounced on a rebound to give the Walleye a 3-1 lead at 11:11 of third. That goal loomed even larger after the Mallards' Chris Izmirlian jammed the puck in from the crease and reduced the margin to one just 28 seconds later.
The Mallards could not quite complete their comeback bid after spending almost the entire night battling form behind. Toledo's Kyle Bonis scored the opening goal from close range just one minute, 36 seconds into the game. A.J. Jenks doubled the Walleye lead from the doorstep at 12:23 of the first period.
The Mallards were on the power play when Ryan McGrath cut the gap to 2-1 by burying Jamie Tardif's goalmouth feed at 7:41 of the second period.
The Mallards and Walleye meet again at the TaxSlayer Center Friday night at 7:05 p.m. The Mallards will wear their special edition military-themed jerseys during that game and auction them off immediately afterward to benefit VFW Post 1303 in Rock Island. In addition, 1,000 children ages 12 and under attending Friday's game will receive free Mallards draw string bags courtesy of Scott County Family YMCA. Fans can enjoy $2 hot dogs and beers from TaxSlayer Center concession stands during every Friday Mallards home game. The Mallards have partnered with Metro to provide transit service between Augustana College and downtown Moline during all Friday home games. As part of Metro's unlimited ride program, Augustana riders can use their Augustana ID as their fare.
Tickets for Friday night's game- and all remaining Mallards regular season home games- are also now on sale at the TaxSlayer Center box office, Ticketmaster toll free charge-by-phone (1-800-745-3000) and ticketmaster.com. The box office is open weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 14, 2018
- Schmidt Scores in Third to Force OT, Royals Fall, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Edge Mallards, Eliminate Flock from Playoff Contention - Quad City Mallards
- CenturyLink and Steelheads to Host Free Skate for Fans on March 25th - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 14 - ECHL
- Niagara Defenseman Keegan Harper Joins Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Agree to Terms with Davison, Pratt, Panowyk - South Carolina Stingrays
- Phinney Recalled by Manitoba - Indy Fuel
- Grizzlies Insider: Grizzlies Look to Start a New Streak - Utah Grizzlies
- Walleye Denis Gets the Call - Toledo Walleye
- Vay Returns to Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Adds Ferris State Product Maloney - Wichita Thunder
- Melancon Joins AHL's Syracuse Crunch on PTO - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals Weekly: Norfolk Begins Final Ten Games of Regular Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Geiger, Hughes Sent To SC, While Bindulis Gets Call To Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steelheads Fall in Atlanta to Open Road Trip - Idaho Steelheads
- Army and Zink Rejoin Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings