Armor Acquire Ben Uzoh
Springfield, Mass. - The Springfield Armor announced today that they have acquired guard Ben Uzoh (ooh-ZOE) from the Rio Grande Valley Vipers in exchange for forward Tim Ohlbrecht.
"I'm extremely excited about Ben joining our organization," said Armor head coach Bob MacKinnon. "Getting a lead guard of his caliber, someone who we feel is a definite NBA Call-Up prospect, is a tremendous accomplishment for our organization. I think the fans in Springfield will be very excited to welcome Ben back."
Uzoh (6-3, 205, Tulsa) joins the Armor after being waived by the Denver Nuggets during the preseason. In one preseason game, Uzoh scored two points and dished out three assists in 20 minutes against the Golden State Warriors on October 15.
Uzoh saw action in 18 NBA games (eight starts) during the 2011-12 season as a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Toronto Raptors, averaging 4.5 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 20.6 minutes. He earned a 10-day contract from the Cavaliers and two more 10-day contracts from the Raptors before being signed by Toronto for the remainder of the 2011-12 season on April 16. Uzoh posted his first-career triple-double in a season-ending victory over the then-New Jersey Nets, tallying 12 points, 11 rebounds and 12 assists on April 26. Uzoh also played 20 games with the Vipers (18 starts) in the NBA D-League prior to earning a GATORADE Call-Up, averaging 14.8 points, 5.8 rebounds and 3.9 assists in 30.8 minutes.
Uzoh began his NBA career after signing as an undrafted free agent with the Nets following the 2010 NBA Draft. He appeared in 42 games off the Nets' bench during the 2010-11 season, averaging 3.8 points, 1.5 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 10.4 minutes. Uzoh was assigned to the Armor during the 2010-11 season for his first-career stint in the NBA D-League, averaging 16.0 points, 8.0 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 2.2 steals in 33.3 minutes. All four of the games Uzoh appeared in with Springfield were played on the road.
Uzoh holds career NBA averages of 4.0 points, 2.0 rebounds and 2.1 assists through 60 games (8 starts) and career NBA D-League averages of 15.0 points, 6.2 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.5 steals in 24 games (21 starts).
Ohlbrecht was the Armor's first round selection (14th overall) out of Germany in Friday's NBA D-League Draft.
Uzoh, 24, will join the Armor for training camp, which is set to begin on Monday, Nov. 12 in Springfield.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 5, 2012
- Jam Acquire Cam Tatum from Energy - Bakersfield Jam
- $49 Ford Fan Zone Season Tickets Released Online - Idaho Stampede
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Guard Dominique Johnson from Texas - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Texas Acquires Faisal Aden - Texas Legends
- BayHawks Complete Two Trades - Erie BayHawks
- Skyforce Acquires Davis from BayHawks - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Iowa Energy Acquire Mustapha Farrakhan in Trade with Bakersfield - Iowa Wolves
- Reno Bighorns Complete Trades for Temple, McClinton and Tucker - Reno Bighorns
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Guard Harouna Mutombo & 2013 3rd Round Draft Pick - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Charge Make Roster Moves - Canton Charge
- Stampede Acquire Summers - Idaho Stampede
- Texas Acquires Assane Sene and Vernon Lewis - Texas Legends
- Austin Toros Trade with RGV Vipers for Patrick Sullivan - Austin Spurs
- Vipers Acquire Murry and Ohlbrecht Through Trades - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Armor Acquire Ben Uzoh - Springfield Armor
- Reno Bighorns Announce National Anthem Tryouts - Reno Bighorns
- Texas Acquires Solomon Bozeman from Tulsa - Texas Legends
- Tulsa Acquires Anthony Vereen from Texas - Tulsa 66ers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.