Another Day, Another Grand Slam
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends fell in game three to the Augusta GreenJackets in the bottom of the 10th inning, 11-10. Nate Eaton recorded a grand slam, the second in as many days, but it was not enough as Augusta held on to the victory.
A two-run blast by Diego Rincones put Augusta on top, 2-0 after the first inning.
Jeffry Parra then hit a solo homer to left field in the top of the second inning, extending Augusta's lead, 3-0.
Lexington took the lead in the bottom of the second inning. Chris Hudgins drew a leadoff walk. Back-to-back singles by Eric Cole and Reed Rohlman loaded the bases. Rubendy Jaquez then smashed a bases clearing double to right centerfield and the game was tied, 3-3. Jaquez then came home to score on a sacrifice fly by John Rave and the Legends led, 4-3.
In the top of the seventh inning, Simon Whiteman reached on an error by the Legends then moved to third on a fly out by the next batter. Another error allowed him to score and the game was tied, 4-4. Francisco Tostado then was hit by a pitch. He scored on a wild pitch and the GreenJackets led, 7-4.
The Legends took the lead again in the bottom of the same inning. A pair of walks to Rudy Martin and Ricky Aracena paired with a single by John Rave loaded the bases. Nate Eaton then smashed a grand slam to left centerfield and the Legends led 8-7.
In the top of the ninth inning, Whiteman reached on a throwing error by Brhet Bewley then came home to tie the game on an RBI single to right field by Tostado.
The GreenJackets plated three runs in the top of tenth inning off a pair of singles by Munguia and Mikey Edie and the Legends trailed, 11-8.
In the bottom of the tenth inning, an RBI ground out by Reed Rohlman drove in the Legends Pace of Play Runner and Lexington pulled within two runs, 11-9. An RBI single by Brhet Bewley scored Jaquez, but Lexington fell in extras, 11-10.
Preston White is awarded the victory pitching 2.2 innings allowing two runs (one earned) on three hits while striking out one. Jaret Hellinger was given the loss tossing 2.0 innings allowing four runs (two earned) on five hits while striking out four.
The Legends and GreenJackets meet for the series finale tomorrow at 7:05pm. RHP CJ Eldred will be on the bump for Lexington and Augusta will send LHP Seth Corry.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 28, 2019
- Kannapolis Squanders Late Lead against Greensboro - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Bats Come Alive in Kannapolis' 8-1 Victory - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Chambers' Three-Hit Night Not Enough to Power Fireflies Past Hagerstown - Columbia Fireflies
- Nine-Run Frame Sinks Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- RiverDogs Shake Slump, Break out Late Sunday in Delmarva - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Dogs Blow by 'Birds Down Stretch - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Nine Run Inning Fuels 'Dads to Victory - Hickory Crawdads
- Late Comeback Leads Suns to Fifth Straight Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Jackets Rally to Beat Lexington in Extra-Innings - Augusta GreenJackets
- Another Day, Another Grand Slam - Lexington Legends
- Sweet Hurls First Nine-Inning Complete Game in Power History in 6-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Three Straight for Claws After 4-1 Sunday Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 28 vs. Hagerstown (Game 103) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 28) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: Herman "Feeling Good" After 4 RBIs - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Rome Lineup Stays Hot in 8-6 Win over West Virginia - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Legends Clinch Back-To-Back South Atlantic League Championships with Late Inning Theatrics
- Hickory Hands Lexington First Playoff Loss
- Legends Headed Back to SAL Championship Series
- Lexington's Emma Tiedemann Named SAL Media Relations Director of the Year
- Lexington Powers Down West Virginia with Doubleheader Sweep